Hydrogen Fuel Cells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrogen Fuel Cells

Ok, used the search button, and couldn't find much on the subject here.

So, there's a lot of stuff on t'internet about it, and I'm not thinking total fuel conversion, but as an assist to the diesel engine, to improve the efficiency of the burn, and therefore the fuel ecconemy, alledgedly by up to 25%.

I,ve spoken to one of our developement engineers, and heres knocked up a working prototype, and says they are not hard to make, and he's gonna fit one to his diesel car.

Any ideas??
    Rob

Still working for the man!

a guy i work with has a cd-rom which explains the process of how to do it' from what i understood its basically water with ,i think, baking soda in it with a couple of electrodes in it connected to the battery or alternator- i can't remember which. the hydrogen produced goes somewhere into the intake manifold and is used in the burn, i understand there is a limit to what you can produce as you are only using the spare current from the alternator and above that limit it becomes uneconomical ,but he was claiming up to 20% gain in efficiency,apparently. i'll try and get a copy of the cd and post it on here or a link to it if on another site.

i know this is a bit of a wishy washy reply but its somthing i'm interested and wanting to research further.

looking at the info on the internet thats available they seem to be quite large units, not sure where it'd fit under my bonnet!
    Last edited by martinworswick; 14 September 2008, 06:48.

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44095

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=46431

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47714
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Not this old chestnut again!

Hydrogen isn't something thats dead easy to get from water. It requires lots of current to liberate it, and even then you dont get much.

20% gains is a hilarious figure. We want PROOF, not heresay. Verified performance graphs, not cheap eBay kits from scammers.

Come-on folks, there's no such thing as a free lunch!

If you're talking PROPER hydrogen fuel cells, this isn't the same sort of thing at all, and is an extremely expensive still quite 'fringe' energy source popular in space programmes.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          there's no such thing as a free lunch!

Ive been given free a free lunch before.... corned beef an pickle sarnie an a cup of tea!!

So quit these lies!

Comment

So all in all, nothing conclusive, either way from what I can see, as I said, i would be interested if it could be used as a suppliment to the diesel to improve fuel econemy by a percentage.

I guess I'll wait for more results, and some feedback from our developement engineer.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

check out this link, there seem to be quite a few people who know what they're talking about, and it seems that,no, its not possible.
              http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-14877.html

Comment

Hho

Myself and a guy in Wales called Carl, both fitted a HHO unit to our Surfs. The kit only cost about £60.00 not £400 as some cost. He kept a very good record of MPG and did't get a difference and i don't think i did either. In fact after about 10 weeks i went to chang the water and half of one of the electrodes had totally dissolved from the acidi water. I feel sorry for people who fork out £400 plus fitting, for the stainless steel system, which i assume will last longer. I still believe there can be a benefit using such systems, but not at that price. Also, you do not need to add much gas to help the fuel burn better and the other advantage is that it will clean the carbon from your engine and reduce emissions, but perhaps only 3-5% not 80% etc as advertised.
                I used to say in a letter i sent to customers that if i could gaurantee every car a 25% saving, i would be living next to Bill Gates.
                It is not unreasonable to think that either you can improve the fuel or the engine to get more energy from it, from various products on the market, but unfortunately its adverts making outrageous claims that give all such products a bad name.
                Still Searching,
                Dick Whittington

Comment

Working...
                X