WVO water separator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WVO water separator

I have around 100L of WVO settling in my garage with no (or very little) sign of water. Are these things effective at separating it?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Water-Seperati...d=p3286.c0.m14

Also, other WVO users here, do you use filter bags (cheap as chips on eBay) to filter, or cartride filters? I'd imagine cartridges are more consistent, but have a greater initial cost.

I dont have a good supply of tights or pillow covers!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Water is harder to remove from wvo, that filter claims that it will.
    yoshie uses replacable cartridge filters after first using the pillowcase method.
    I think without a proper centrifuge and filter system the quality of your wvo will always be a bit suspect but yoshie has used loads of his and only needed to change the fuel filter once.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Do you know if he pumps it through the cartridges or gravity feeds? I can put a reservoir for waste in the loft of the garage, and gravity feed, which is cheaper.

If I filter to 5 micron, I shouldn't have any problem with fuel filters as they are specced to 10 micron I believe.

Comment

After filtering, heat it to 40C, this should evaporate any/or most of the water left

Comment

I have a 300W fishtank heater left over from my days as an aquarist. Should work a treat for that! I guess if I heat for a day or so, that should work.

Comment

Or get an oil drum form a local motor factor and bung an immersion heater for a domestic watertank in the side of it

Comment

Something the size of an immersion heater would seem to defeat the object of cheapness though. I doubt I would 'process' more than about 25-50 litres at a time. With a fishtank heater, I can just bung it straight into the 25 litre drums I use and come back the next day.

Comment

TBH Andy, i didn't realise water would be a problem!
                As i'm only on my second 20ltr batch of WVO, should i worry about this before i put any in the truck????

Alan
                www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

yoshie has used gallons of wvo without any problems, he pumps it through the filter setup with a wee drill pump.
                  Alan

Comment

If you have the space let it settle for 2/3 weeks after this period take a small sample and drop it in a hot frying pan, if the oil crackles or spits it still contains water and will damage your motor. No spitting or bubbles filter it through what you can afford ranginging from denim jeans and bed sheets or 10inch cartridges.

I settle for three weeks in a 45 gallon drum with drain taps fitted to bottom and sides the water is removed from the bottom and clean oil filtered from the side works great costs nil. Thrre drums in constant rotation means there is always plenty available.

Have a look at http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php all the info you will need and supllies of filters cheaper than ebay.

Comment

Water is not a big issue, and heating wont get rid of it.
                      You have a water trap on the truck filter anyway

It's the free fatty acids in wvo that cause filter blocks. The Surfs are tough as ****, filter it settle it filter again then mix with 10% unleaded. Stick it in the truck on a 50 - 50 mix with derv and enjoy cheap motoring

I use pillow cases then 10" foam filters and housing pump the oil through.
                      These filters are good for 100ltrs and are £1.50 each max.

You can also buy 4" 5 micron filters and housing to fit in line on the truck as a pre filter. Nathaniel on Difflock sells them cheap.
                      Last edited by yoshie; 11 September 2008, 18:47.
                      Brian

Comment

Thanks for that ........

At present i just have this little setup in my garage, next thing is to order some decent filters.
                        (when i change the fuel filter in the truck soon, will it be a good idea to run the wvo thru the old one?)
                        First i got 2 big buckets, cut the top 3 inches from one, put a cloth over, tie a wire round to hold it. Put little one in big one, pour in WVO to get rid of the bits of chips!

Then pour into top box, leave to settle for a week,

Open the tap to a slow drip, thru a foam filter, into the middle bucket,

Leave to settle for a further week.... then open tap, slow drip thru more foam into bottom box....

Leave a week, then funnel into one of the old KTC drums i have.....

And bobs your uncle!!!

Alan

Comment

cheers for pics of set up Alan. Looks good.
                          Alan

Comment

Have a look here if you have space and plenty of oil http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n450ihBYoM

Comment

BLIMEY!!!!!! theres loads of related vids on there!

Currently looking for a better, more regular supplier!

Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X