yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi all - newbie looking for honest advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all - newbie looking for honest advice.

Hi everyone. I've been a lurker for some time now. Reading posts and basically trying to decide whether to jump in the deep end and get a toyota surf or not.

I've never owned a 4x4 before, or any kind of big vehicle actually. Mostly small economical cars really. Nice and cheap 1.2 and 1.4 petrol engined cars for commuting etc. But just recently I've been toying with the idea of doing a lot of travelling around the UK and Europe and for that I need something reliable, roomy, comfortable, robust and not too costly to run.

This is the crux of my problem. I've been so used to relatively low costs of running a small car that it scares me to death that if I were to go ahead and buy a big ole Toyota Surf I might be taking on something significantly bigger than I am used to in terms of running costs, insurance, road tax etc.

I also have a number of people within my immediate circle of friends who cannot understand why I have shown a interest in such a big car. They remind me of rising fuel costs and road tax, the current climate against such big cars and say that I must be completely mad if I go ahead and buy one. They succeed in getting me to change my mind occassionally but then I find myself going back to the idea of buying one for my dream of travelling for a year or two.

So I guess I'm looking for some advice really. Maybe there are some facts I have overlooked. Perhaps you think I should stick to low cost driving. Perhaps you think my little 1.4 petrol engine would do just as well travelling around Europe as Toyota Surf would. Thats fine. I'm looking for honesty and experiences.

Perhaps someone here has done some serious travelling in a Surf and thought it was sublime! Or perhaps it was a nightmare!!

Anyway, I'm on the edge of buying one at the moment and I just need tipping either way. I'm hoping someone here will say something that will help tip me one way or the other - my head hurts with thinking about it at the moment! lol

Nice to meet you all!!

Kate

At the end of the day you need to do what feels right for you.
    Personally I find them very comfortable so for driving around europe it will be comfortable. It will carry everything you want and more, as for fuel etc yes sure your wont get 40 + mpg like a little 1.4 hatch. But then load your 1.4 with all the gear you need and drive that round europe, I doubt it will return 40 + and be as comfortable.
    Yes the tax is more, the mpg less, but do you want to drive round europe with a suitcase in your 1.4 getting 40+ mpg and uncomfortable or drive round carrying all that you need in comfort with 4wd when needed.

The choice is yours.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

AS ABOVE ^^^^^^

what exactly do you have in mind with regrds to travelling. if its the motorway network of europe, how about a substantial diesel saloon/estate. if you intend going off the beaten track, then a utility vehicle like a 4x4 will be not just useful, but essential.
      it all depends on what your plans are, suffice to say, a 1.4 petrol engined small car, loaded to its limit, being driven up a mountain will let you down, in a fairly profound and expensive way. if your travelling involves a very steady motorway/ main road thing, then again a larger car would probably suffice.

it all depends on what you want to actually do

welcome btw
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

What they said....

Surfs are very comfy, reliable as long as you get a good one, swallow a fair bit of luggage and are easy to drive for something so big. I have driven to Switzerland and back a couple of times non-stop and they are more than up to the job.

But they are thirsty and not exactly rapid. If I was looking to do a tour of Europe and had no plans to get into the snow or go offroad I would take a large European diesel estate that was frugal and recognised by mechanics across the whole continent. I would look at things like a Peugeot 406, a Vauxhall Vectra or a Ford Mondeo. It would be boring as hell but cheap to run and fix.

If, however, you fancy playing in some dirt or snow, a surf would be a very fine choice.

Comment

Just to add to what the others have said, if you do decide to go down the Surf route then I would suggest avoiding the 2.4L and go for the 3.0L, either 2nd or 3rd Gen (i.e. 93-95 or 96 on) as they are far less prone to head cracking problems. Whatever you get, have it given a complete service before you go, put new tyres on unless the existing ones are in very good condition, and take the recommended spares with you (light bulbs, fan belts, etc) and make sure you include all the mandatory bits of kit that are required in a number of EU countries (e.g. Hi-vis vests, first aid kit, fire extinguiser, etc). Check on the AA or RAC websites as they should be able to confirm what is needed in each country.

Oh, and never stop when you are flagged down by other motorists on lonely roads. If you think there is a problem, drive on until you come to a service area with plenty of people about as there have been plenty of robbery's from car parked up to look at spurious defects.
          Mike G

Comment

As above ........this link will help as well ....

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Oh and welcome to the nut house .......beware the squirrel
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

re

Same as.............

BUT, all that aside, Surfs look damn gooooood!

You can put one of the rear seats down and have a kip, fully stretched out!

Everything else is a bonus!

If you do decide to buy, the guys here will see you get a good'un!

Tax is not all that expensive neither is insurance!

(I was referring to 2nd Gens)
              Last edited by hellmett; 1 September 2008, 16:44.

Comment

welcome

and i agree with all above!

I do a fair bit of long distance driving and the surf is the most comfortable and safest vehicle i have driven.

I drove my old 1.1 ford fiesta to Holland and back on the way back i didn't go below 80mph and only stopped to fill up with petrol, a week later the head had gone on the engine. I surmise form being over worked.

A small engine car is designed for short runs and low mileage and low work (not moving half a ton of bricks etc as i did with my fiesta)

A large engine car is designed for longer runs higher mileage and heavier loads and will perform better in these conditions than a smaller car.

I have had smaller cars which are fine for short runs and light loads but not long distance driving.

as others have said get either a good reliable 4x4 like a surf if you are driving on smaller European roads, or a decent diesel estate if you are mainly motorway driving like a merc or Volvo.

and try to stay on main roads in eastern Europe esp if you are on your own.

Personally i would get a 3ltr Surf 2gen or 3gen, insurance and tax aren't that bad, phone round and get some quotes.

good luck.
                If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

Working...
                X