Invertor???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invertor???

At the risk of the "post of death" can anyone reccomend a mains invertor or see any probs whith what i want to use it for, i need to wire it into the back area so i can plug my wifes scooter charger in it, dont know the draw rateing of the charger but can find out if it helps, just a general enquiry, as to make of invertor etc before i start looking on ebay etc, ta
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

I have the 100w invertor from Maplins - had no problems with it so far (black square one). Features an audible alarm if the battery is getting low plus auto switch off to stop battery going flat.

I also have one of the "can" shaped ones, and have found that although it's 100W it won't power my laptop!
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I got a 800watt from argos..
      Powers nearly anything even my little microwave..

I have on of the little £10 solar panels of eblag and keep the battery topped up that way if I don't have the engine running...

wont it be easier tho to get a 12V charger for her scooter?
      And then wire a 12v socket in the back
      Might make ur battery last longer...
      One day at the time I guess..

Comment

was gonna say, chances are the charger is DC (likely to be 12v) anyway, with a mains transformer thingy built into it, i'd look into the 12v charger route otherwise there's gonna be wasted power stepping up to 240 AC then back down to low voltage DC.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

I've got something similar to this :

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ertor&doy=22m8

You need to keep the cables short, and it was enough to run an xbox/PS2 in my old car.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
            At the risk of the "post of death" can anyone reccomend a mains invertor or see any probs whith what i want to use it for, i need to wire it into the back area so i can plug my wifes scooter charger in it, dont know the draw rateing of the charger but can find out if it helps, just a general enquiry, as to make of invertor etc before i start looking on ebay etc, ta
            Hi Ian, I've got a 75 watt converter.
            surge capacity 150 watt
            Nominal Voltage 12 Volts
            Output 220v- 240v

Good Luck searchin

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
              was gonna say, chances are the charger is DC (likely to be 12v) anyway, with a mains transformer thingy built into it, i'd look into the 12v charger route otherwise there's gonna be wasted power stepping up to 240 AC then back down to low voltage DC.

That is the one....

No point going from 12v to 240v back to 12v....

they do the 12v extentions cheap on ebay lead and socket....

Comment

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
                I got a 800watt from argos..
                Powers nearly anything even my little microwave..

I have on of the little £10 solar panels of eblag and keep the battery topped up that way if I don't have the engine running...
                Mate, the 50 or 60 amps you'll draw from the batteries by plugging in an (for instance) 800w microwave will not be replaced by the few hundred milliamps (if you're lucky) from a little solar panel.

Keep the engine running when you're drawing lots of current. It really is the only way.

The little solar panels are designed to keep a surface charge on your battery to combat leakage over long periods, not to charge it.

Originally posted by TobyJug View Post
                wont it be easier tho to get a 12V charger for her scooter?
                And then wire a 12v socket in the back
                Might make ur battery last longer...
                Yep, agreed. Definitely the easier way. Assuming its a 12v battery.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                  Mate, the 50 or 60 amps you'll draw from the batteries by plugging in an (for instance) 800w microwave
                  Really?

Btw Ian, you will need a 12V charger. Don't just connect it straight to the vehicle 12V supply. SLA's won't be happy bunnies with the output range of the alternator.

Comment

Mate, the 50 or 60 amps you'll draw from the batteries by plugging in an (for instance) 800w microwave will not be replaced by the few hundred milliamps (if you're lucky) from a little solar panel.

Keep the engine running when you're drawing lots of current. It really is the only way.

The little solar panels are designed to keep a surface charge on your battery to combat leakage over long periods, not to charge it.

really? mmm it has always worked well in the grey one....
                    and the microwave is only 500W lol

hehe

I did not know that...
                    I thought it charged pretty well...
                    Then again the grey truck had dual battery's...
                    This one has only one..
                    and I used it off the leisure one

yep if it is a 12v battery I think so to that is the better option....

Comment

Thanks for all the replys mateys, the reason i thought about an invertor is the scooter runs on two 12v gell-cells wired in series makeing 24v which is what the mains charger puts out, so i thought it would be easier to use the invertor rather than looking for a 24v adaptor charger (if such a thing exists)
                      i could of course go to a mobility place and they would flog/fit summat for me but as soon as you mention "mobility" the cost sprials, the invertor seems the cheaper/easier option and it would only be in use when the trucks running anyway, worth a go and as long as i fuse the supply (relay??? would i need one?) it should be safe, cheers again,
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        Thanks for all the replys mateys, the reason i thought about an invertor is the scooter runs on two 12v gell-cells wired in series makeing 24v which is what the mains charger puts out, so i thought it would be easier to use the invertor rather than looking for a 24v adaptor charger (if such a thing exists)
                        i could of course go to a mobility place and they would flog/fit summat for me but as soon as you mention "mobility" the cost sprials, the invertor seems the cheaper/easier option and it would only be in use when the trucks running anyway, worth a go and as long as i fuse the supply (relay??? would i need one?) it should be safe, cheers again,
                        I got the 800w from argos for only £30.....

Comment

Working...
                        X