Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, new here...need some advice.

Hi,

I'm just about to take delivery of a 1995 Surf 3.0TD auto. I don't know why but I've always wanted one. It will mainly be used for towing (my sisters horse box and my other car down to trackdays and to sprints & hilclimbs).

Are there any must have mods that should be done? especially before it gets used for any long distance towing? My plan was to fit an engine oil cooler, gearbox oil cooler and get a high efficiency aluminum radiator made for it. I know it sounds a bit overkill but I've been looking around this site and have noticed that overheating seems to be a common problem, and it pretty much what I'm going to be doing to my trackday car so I might get a good discount on a bulk buy.

The only other thing I want to do is buy big offroad wheels and tyres to it. Whats the largest I can go without doing a suspension lift or body lift. I'll need offsets and tyre sizes please.

Thanks,
    Kev.

on a standard surf without lift all you will be able to fit is 31x10.5x15
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Alot of silly questions are answered here.......

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

Oh and welcome to the nut house ......beware the squirrel
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

If the main use is going to be towing, dont put big knobbly tyres on it. It's completely at odds with what you want to do really. You'll find you're going through tyres faster than you would with ATs, you'll go through fuel faster, and the truck will be noisier and not as nice to drive. Plus if you go for bigger wheels, the gearing will be taller, which will put more stress on the ATF, and more heat into the system etc etc.

Personally, I'd stick 31" ATs on it, and if you find you want to use it for the odd muddy pay and play, get a cheap second set of wheels and put some muds on them.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          If the main use is going to be towing, dont put big knobbly tyres on it. It's completely at odds with what you want to do really. You'll find you're going through tyres faster than you would with ATs, you'll go through fuel faster, and the truck will be noisier and not as nice to drive. Plus if you go for bigger wheels, the gearing will be taller, which will put more stress on the ATF, and more heat into the system etc etc.

Personally, I'd stick 31" ATs on it, and if you find you want to use it for the odd muddy pay and play, get a cheap second set of wheels and put some muds on them.
          ive got the ATs and it was my mates pajero on muds that kept getting stuck, not me.. excuse my language
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

My advice?

Learn how to use the search function, as the questions you've asked we've seen a million times before.

Oh, and pay your subs, £15 for a warm fuzzy ain't that bad.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
              My advice?

Learn how to use the search function, as the questions you've asked we've seen a million times before.

that might have come accross a bit sarky
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Might have been intentional?

Its almost daily there is a newbie post asking the same questions.

No offence to the poster, but it is better to spend a few hours reading up, just to check if your questions have been answered before... several hundred times
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                  My advice?

I used the search function before I posted unfortunatly I don't know the differance between 1st Gen and the 3rd Gen. I tried searching that with no luck. Fair enough i maybe should have just asked what genertation I have.

Apart from this forum I'm a member of 3 other lotus forums. 2 of which I'm subscribed to the other one doesn't need a subscription. I'm all for supporting the running costs of forums like this, but like I did with the others I waited a couple of weeks to see what the forums were like before i payed my subscriptions.

Comment

Working...
                  X