Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dammit! Pranged the Surf!

Sh!t
    Backed out of my folks drive the other day after loading the car. Backed out past their neighbours car as I have done a million times (maybe a thousand, at least lots) However, my rear passenger side door that I slammed shut must have not caught on the lock and swung open, catching the neighbours Renault hatchback denting his rear (bit that runs down the passenger side of the rear screen –technical huh?) and in the millisecond it took me to think ‘what’s that noise? it must be that branch dragging on my snorkel. Oh no its not, sh1t!’ and slam on the anchors, scraped along the rear side for a couple of inches and just managed to smash the rear little window on the passenger side.

B*gger and *rse!

Told the guy to get quotes and that it is probably better for me not to go through insurance as I have 4 years no claims and my excess is about £700 from what I remember – must check tonight (Yes, seems high but theres no point having it much lower as its not worth claiming for anything costing less than that as I would end up paying more over a year or two in higher premiums)

So, I was thinking £400 or something in that ball park. He’s just sent me a quote of £1005 for crying out loud! His car isn’t new and must be more than 5 years old. So many miles done in the years I’ve been driving and end up with that much to fork out for not slamming a door hard enough! Aaargh!!

I’ve never had a car in for damage being worked on before. Does that sound ridiculously steep or not? It was a decent size dent and on a section of the car that’s probably not easy to panel beat as its curved. Neither the dent nor the scrape went down to the metal.

I know the guy vaguely and I don’t think he’s trying to pull a fast one at all, but has maybe been quoted over the odds.

So I either:

Force him to get more quotes
    Put it through insurance (which if my excess is £700 is fairly pointless)
    Run away to Acapulco
    Sell a kidney (don’t think they are so valuable in their current state)
    Suggest he gets the window fixed leaves the rest and takes £500 from me
    Take it on the chin as its my fault and fork out the readies (anyone lend me a grand?)

The Surfs door got wrenched round and bent near the hinge but shuts ok (if you slam it) maybe I should say I dented it offroading!

Dammit!!! Not a good month to have to pay out anything and screws my ideas I had been toying with of saving up for a set of 33’s!

what i was told by my insurance company when i hit a 06 mitsi p/up last november was that it won't affect my no claims as its not me claiming.Talk to your insurance company.Your no claims should only be affected if you claim yourself on your own insurance to damage to your own vehicle
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Richard, that sounds good! I'll look into that. *crosses fingers, toes and other appendages8

new info from my mum he's dropped the hard copy quote round to them

Renault Clio Xreg (so year 2000 I think)

Replace nearside door quarter glass
      Repair and paint nearside rear door and nearside quarter

Parts £41
      Labour £704
      Paint and materials £110

£855 + VAT = £1004

Comment

that labour charge is disgusting.£700 what a joke.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          what i was told by my insurance company when i hit a 06 mitsi p/up last november was that it won't affect my no claims as its not me claiming.Talk to your insurance company.Your no claims should only be affected if you claim yourself on your own insurance to damage to your own vehicle
          That doesn't sound right to me.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
            Richard, that sounds good! I'll look into that. *crosses fingers, toes and other appendages8

new info from my mum he's dropped the hard copy quote round to them

Renault Clio Xreg (so year 2000 I think)

Replace nearside door quarter glass
            Repair and paint nearside rear door and nearside quarter

Parts £41
            Labour £704
            Paint and materials £110

£855 + VAT = £1004
            Sounds like it's a made up figure.

The rear quarter panel and the window glass will be way more than £41, and what's the difference between parts and materials?

Forgot to say, I think £1000 is not bad. I'd have expected it to be more, especially with a damaged quarter panel, it's not an easy thing to replace.
            Last edited by Albannach; 13 August 2008, 20:11.

Comment

buy the car off him ,tidy it up then resell
              mate off mine as just done that
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

probably could be if it was being handled by a renault dealer through one of their dedicated body shops.

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                  That sounds like the best plan to me as a megan from that year is only worth about £900

tidy a little and sell on ebay or something hehe

But that sounds like the insurance would write the car off....
                  One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                    I'd go for this too. You could probably get it for 1500 and sell it for a grand as is.

Comment

check like stormy said,window would cost more than 41 quid from anyone,either way id get more quotes,atleast 3 in total

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                        check like stormy said,window would cost more than 41 quid from anyone,either way id get more quotes,atleast 3 in total
                        When did he say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                          When did he say that?
                          sorry should have been clearer,check with insurance like stormy said,ok happy? lol

Comment

£1005 sounds like about right, up to about £1500 would be normal.

I have had my fair share of accident repairs, thankfully on other peoples insurance. On the surf i paid the extra few quid for protected no claims as i have about 5 years.

check to see if you have protected no claims on your policy !

also try to get a repair quote from a smaller (cash in hand) repair shop you might get it done for a fair bit less.

As its a neighbor and you are at fault its not worth the hassle of trying to get around having to have it fully repaired.

good luck geting it sorted
                            If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

Working...
                            X