The falling value of 4x4s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The falling value of 4x4s

The values of 4x4's are dropping like a stone, some sellers are still holding out and asking for high prices but there are plenty of bargains to be had so it seems, yes ours have cost value but the cost to upgrade is less overall.

I saw a 2002 LC 100 4.2TD 100K being sold by a main mercedes dealer for 7K which looked in great conition, yes 7K is still alot of money but it's also a lot of car for 7K which a few months ago would have been up for at least 10K

Found this today, P-reg Prado (Colorado) 70K miles, looks in good condition, asking £2.5K that would have been at least £4K a few months ago

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting
    Last edited by 24Seven; 10 August 2008, 11:36.
    I Love Wales

I suppose its all relative. 4 years ago I bought my first Surf ( a 2.4) for 6000. I had it for 2 years and sold it on for 2500. I then bought a newer 3.0l for 3000, and a year later it moved on for 2900. I added 1100 to that to get my current vehicle

Therefore I have spent 7600 to get what I have now. Over 4 years thats 168 per month and if you consider I still own a vehicle which is worth , lets say 2500 ( Im being really conservative here ) that means its now cost me 106 pounds per month over the last 4 years to own the SURF. reality is I could probably get more like 3500 for it bringing the monthly ownership figure to nearer 85. Its a steal, I know people who shell out 3 and 4 times that every single month ad infinitum for the priviledge of owning some anonymous and utterly tedious, boring piece of tin and plastic.

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

I see it as a good thing and looking at ebay completed sales (or not) it's even worst / better than I thought, loads of large 4x4 are not getting any bids even at low start or not making the reserve.

If you're keeping your 4x4 it makes no odds, if you fancy a newer one, I think you're quids in.

I guess the only people that will not be a winner is people selling their 4x4 and buying a small cheap to run car?
      I Love Wales

Comment

That is a cool LC. Needs different wheels an that rear spoiler pulled off etc but for that kind of money!

So cheap its unreal.

Its not great when people pour loads of money into a truck an then find its worth almost nothing!

current market there is almost no point in my trying to sell my truck. I could probably break it for parts an get more ££!!

Shame really.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
          That is a cool LC. Needs different wheels an that rear spoiler pulled off etc but for that kind of money!

So cheap its unreal.
          and it's got an inter-cooler
          I Love Wales

Comment

Have been watching (and wincing) at the falling 4x4 prices, I reckon this time next year I'll be able to trial a BM X5 for about £1500

Mark......
            Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

i used to have a BMX... no where near that price!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

On a recent TV prog ' priced off the road' a couple who had bought a big Merc 4x4 , I forget the model (but over 3 litre anyhow and 25 mpg) bought this thing for £12,000 9 months ago....as fuel costs soared they now cannot afford to run it. They took it to a dealer who looking up his little book...offered £6,000...and then said he would not buy it at that.... but maybe at £5,000 he could be tempted. they still owe £7,000 on credit......

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Never mind 4 x 4s! Our 2004 Avensis 1.8 auto has dropped in value by nearly £2000 overnight thanks to Mr Darling now placing it in a higher road tax bracket although it averages almost 40 mpg.
                  Hardly a gas guzzler and then he has the cheek to turn around and say that we should trade it in for a smaller car which we would consider, but now we have lost all equity in the car and if we sold it tomorrow we would still have £1500 outstanding finance and I think there are 1000's of people in a similar situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
                    I suppose its all relative. 4 years ago I bought my first Surf ( a 2.4) for 6000. I had it for 2 years and sold it on for 2500. I then bought a newer 3.0l for 3000, and a year later it moved on for 2900. I added 1100 to that to get my current vehicle

Therefore I have spent 7600 to get what I have now. Over 4 years thats 168 per month and if you consider I still own a vehicle which is worth , lets say 2500 ( Im being really conservative here ) that means its now cost me 106 pounds per month over the last 4 years to own the SURF. reality is I could probably get more like 3500 for it bringing the monthly ownership figure to nearer 85. Its a steal, I know people who shell out 3 and 4 times that every single month ad infinitum for the priviledge of owning some anonymous and utterly tedious, boring piece of tin and plastic.

Bogus
                    i like your method of thinking.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                    X