Torsion Bar Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torsion Bar Problem

Just put the truck through the MOT - it passed - but prior to this I replaced the inner cv boots. In order to do this I wound down the torsion bars, counting the turns, and when I finished the job I wound them back up with the same amount of turns. There was no real problem with this, everything turning ok.

Just noticed the front was lop sided and tried to wind up the driver's side, which was about 25mm lower than the n/s. Although the bolt is turning, it would appear that nothing is lifting, so I would assume the tread has gone Is it a major job to i) get the bolt out and replace, and ii) if the tread has gone would this have damaged the torsion bar?

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Thread, not tread. Apparently they have a tendency to spin if you haven't freed them off before trying to adjust them. Just get a spanner on the top too.

Comment

Driver's side sits lower than passenger side on the trucks I've seen anyway. Fuel tank etc?
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Cheers Matt, I must admit I thought that the top nut was fixed/welded! I will have a look at that first thing tomorrow - and keep my fingers crossed - and I will lern how to spel

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Driver's side sits lower than passenger side on the trucks I've seen anyway. Fuel tank etc?
          Not when I'm in the truck - it levels out!! Must be something to do with my slim physique!!

Cheers, Nick

Comment

put a spanner on the nut on top and let it lock against the chasis then you will be able to adjust it ok.Dont forget to lift the front end completely off the ground tho
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              put a spanner on the nut on top and let it lock against the chasis then you will be able to adjust it ok.Dont forget to lift the front end completely off the ground tho
              ...and remember to lift it under the cross member, not the wishbones
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Thanks again fellas, will do,

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Working...
                X