HELP! - Stuck Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! - Stuck Oil Filter

I have attempted to change the oil today. The draining of the oil was no bother.

However, removing the oil filter is proving tough. I have tried a oil filter wrench which was no god, it just crushed the side of the filter. I have put screwdrives in the top of the filter to try and twist it off. Nothing!

I have now removed the top of the filter and taken out all of the filter and am left with just the outer metal skin and the base of the filter. It still will not budge and it is driving me mental !!

Can anyone suggest any other ways of getting the filter off. It is stuck absolutely solid.

Thanks
    Just Vegging Out

So basically now you've got nothing left to grip?

Screwdriver used as a drift in the bottom face of the filter?

PS, when you put the new one on. Hand tight! Dunno why some people (generally main dealers!) insist on torqueing them up to about 200lbs!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Not sure if you know about the little 'trap door' that can be removed - see this thread for info

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/oilrenew.htm

if you can get a long srewdriver in from the top, be careful not to damage the seating face
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
        Not sure if you know about the little 'trap door' that can be removed - see this thread for info

if you can get a long srewdriver in from the top, be careful not to damage the seating face
        Those crazy Aussies have a solution for everything!! What am I talking about, I'm a crazy Aussie!!

And 'YES' I have an answer! It's done, finally.

If anyone is stuck in the same situation and you have exhausted all other avenues, here is what I did.

I cut the top off the filter and removed all of the insides so I was left with an empty tin can. At the base of the filter there are about 6 holes running around the centre. I got a pair of long needle nose pliers and put the ends into two opposite holes. A screwdriver across the handle then worked as a good lever and the filter twisted off easily - after a few choice swear words and a lot of huffing and puffing!

the filter is butchered, but thats ok as it is for the bin anyway. And the new filter went on 'HAND TIGHT!!!!!'

Thanks for the advice guys.
        Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post

The trapdoor doesn't exist on the 3.0, the filter is at the top of the engine on the n/s
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
          X