Veggie question - GWH? Other experts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veggie question - GWH? Other experts?

I have been offered 25 litres or so of used oil a week from my favorite Indian restaurant.

The chef showed me what they use (KTC would you believe!) and what it looks like when he throws it out (a few bits of black burnt stuff in otherwise clear oil).

HOWEVER... they do use it whenever they need to fry anything, so that includes veg, prawns, fish - and meats of various sorts. I know there are certain issues with oil that's had meat fried in it.

Are there ways round this? Do I need to do more than just filter it? Is it worth the hassle? I mean, 25 litres a week is my fuel useage these days, so even if I lost 30% of it and mixed with diesel, its a huge saving so if its NOT gonna kill my engine I'd like to use it.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Andy,

I think you will have to treat it to remove the fats, especially as you go towards the cooler time of year.

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Is that an involved process?

I just posted the same question on www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk so I'll see what they say.

Comment

Take a look at this http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...d.php?tid=3252
        It can be done on a smaller scale, or just let it settle in the plastic containers and pour off the good oil. Do a hot pan test to check for water and then into the motor.

Hope that helps

Comment

Take a look at this http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...d.php?tid=3252
          It can be done on a smaller scale, or just let it settle in the plastic containers and pour off the good oil. Do a hot pan test to check for water. Filter to 5 microns then into the motor.

Hope that helps

Comment

If you're doing it for the cost aspect, general filter on the way into a settling tank and fine filter as you pull the good, settled oil from the tank.

Comment

Sell it to Gemini-Muj or wahtever his name was.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                If you're doing it for the cost aspect, general filter on the way into a settling tank and fine filter as you pull the good, settled oil from the tank.
                Thats the answer I was hoping for, and the answer I got on the other site. Brilliant!

Comment

Just went for a pint after a hard days graft on my garage roof, and got given 20ltrs of used oil, only gets chips fried in it and will be available weekly!!!!!!!!!!!
                  RESULTTTTTTTT.
                  Needless to say that will mean me giving a fiver a week to the charity bottle on the bar (RNLI)
                  all in all a very refreshing couple of pints!
                  Alan
                  www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

There is a lot of WVO out there, most publicans are only too willing to give it away. From the pubs I collect the oil is very clean, no fats just a little water. I stopped collecting from a cafe because getting rid of the waste became a problem.

Just go and ask.

Comment

Just posted on this over in the sticky thread...
                      Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Working...
                      X