Oven on a plug???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven on a plug???

Can ya just plug in electric ovens on a 13amp plug these days?
    i've been out the game for a while but always understood they should be wired via a cooker unit to their own fuse (30 amp) the one that was delivered for the kitchen i'm doing for someone has a plug attached and the guys been told he can just plug it in (B&Q) their changing the hob for a gas one tho as it aint got a plug on and has to be wired to a unit of which there aint one, this dont seem right to me especially as it will be shareing a double 13amp socket with a fridge, this has to be too much dose'nt it?

did'nt read the enclosed paperwork as i did'nt unpack it in case it has to go back before anyone states the obvious
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

I take your moving over to gas ...so the heating of food will be done by gas and the cookers electrical needs are maybe to power a light or a fan.

Electrical cookers consume stacks of electrical power to heat the food, hence a 30 Amp fuse and a dedicated heavy duty cable and breaker at the switchboard. But if its only a lamp and a fan you don't need such a meaty supply, it might only need an amp or so of current.

I'm not sure of the electrical regs at the moment, but if its only a lamp and fan a 13amp plug is more than man enough to power it.
    But I'd still put it on a dedicated electrical circuit if it were me.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Hi mate, no it's a full electric oven! i thought the plug was for light/igniter only but why would an electric oven need a seperate 13amp plug? as for the electric hob they went ahead and bought this stuff without checking there was an outlet/supply for it, theres a gas supply right behind there but no cooker unit/switch, apparantly they've been told they can simply plug it in, which i dont think is right, when i did my own kitchen and as you say my electric oven was wired into an existing unit and the gas hob had a plug for the pico igniters,

Comment

If it's a moulded plastic plug, fitted by the makers, it will
        be OK to use from a 13amp socket. The older type of ovens
        had a terminal block inside and used a heavier twin & earth cable.
        Hope this helps
        If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

NO! You should have a dedicated circuit for it otherwise you'll cook the Wiring for the house. Sounds a bit risky if its got a plug on it to me
          Last edited by marky; 19 July 2008, 17:10.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

SOME new ovens come with a gas and electric powered oven , ours does . . If you read the spec on the cooker it should clearly state the amperage requirement of the cooker .
            We have a gas oven and an electric oven and gas grill with gas hobs . Cooker is made by Rangemaster and runs off a gas conection and a 13 amp factory fitted plug .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
              Hi mate, no it's a full electric oven! i thought the plug was for light/igniter only but why would an electric oven need a seperate 13amp plug? as for the electric hob they went ahead and bought this stuff without checking there was an outlet/supply for it, theres a gas supply right behind there but no cooker unit/switch, apparantly they've been told they can simply plug it in, which i dont think is right, when i did my own kitchen and as you say my electric oven was wired into an existing unit and the gas hob had a plug for the pico igniters,
              it sounds dangerous...at full pelt with a 13amp plug it will only produce just under 3kw of heating which is puny for cooking...
              Also drawing 13 amps for a sustained period won't do your wiring any good and I think a breach of electrical regs.
              A dedicated supply is needed. If anything did go wrong your house insurance would be a bit funny about it...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Ian from what I make of it ... Microwaves yes ..... Cookers NO
                The Cooker should be Ok if ya putting the Cooker plug into a designated Cooker Wall Socket n not into just any 13amp Socket ....
                But wadda I know !!
                Got to agree wiv Marky ....
                Safely does it !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Like i said i aint read the specs as it might have to be exchanged so i did'nt want to unpack it, the plug is the molded on type, it's not a gas oven with a plug for light/fans etc it's an electric oven, think i'll refuse to fit it, they'll have to get an electriction in, dont need this agg

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    Like i said i aint read the specs as it might have to be exchanged so i did'nt want to unpack it, the plug is the molded on type, it's not a gas oven with a plug for light/fans etc it's an electric oven, think i'll refuse to fit it, they'll have to get an electriction in, dont need this agg
                    i'd go along with that,u will prob find once unpacked u will/would see proper connections,should be a minimum of 6mm twin and earth supply,but tbh,i now run 10mm cable to make it future reg proof,need any advice,give me a bell

Comment

I put a cooker in for a mate with a plug on it... We didn't like the look of it so he checked and apparently it was fine... It worked a treat, but I still dont like the sound of it...
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

If I may.
                        Have a look at the specification plte on the cooker, or sometimes its with the instructions. There will be a Watt or Kilowatt rating
                        i.e. 6000 Watts or 5.6 KW
                        KW is 1000 watts
                        when you have found this then divide that figure by 230, which is the voltage, this will give you the amprage.
                        If its any higher than 13 amps then you cannot use a 13 amp plug top.
                        Work this out and then let me know, I'll guide you through the rest of it.
                        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

OK Thanks for the advice guys, just had word that it's been changed for a gas oven and hob, i'm down there tomorrow so i'll see what they got now?
                          beginning to wish i'd said no to this one! removed some tiles in the bathroom to retile and half the sodding render came off with em, had to re plaster part of the wall yesterday, only bonding coat so it aint too smooth, day off today tho, lovely i'll be glad when i've had enough

edit> just spoke the the lad and he's just changed the hob, and apparantly the oven is just a plug in jobby! low power or summat, new one on me,
                          i did point out it's gonna be shareing a 13amp socket (double) with the fridge and that the total amperage for BOTH sockets is 13 amp and not 13amp each
                          anyway adviseing him for his and my sake to get a proper electrician and gas fitter to do the connections as it's a flat and he gonna be renting it out plus i believe the gas hob has to have a flameout device being in a flat, certanly would.nt want some poor sod getting blown up due to my fiddleing, (dont fancy a stretch in chokey either)
                          Last edited by POPEYE; 19 July 2008, 20:06.

Comment

If the cooker came with a 13a plug fitted then its a fan assisted oven, and only needs to be plugged into a 13a supply(socket).
                            If the Gas Hob has a lead and a plug , then this will be only for the piezzo ignition and can be plugged into a socket or fused switched spur!
                            IF the hob is electric only then it will probably require a 30 or even 45amp supply!

If the client has now changed both to gas tell them to get a CORGI registered installer to connect them!
                            hope this helps
                            Alan
                            www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                              If the cooker came with a 13a plug fitted then its a fan assisted oven, and only needs to be plugged into a 13a supply(socket).
                              If the Gas Hob has a lead and a plug , then this will be only for the piezzo ignition and can be plugged into a socket or fused switched spur!
                              IF the hob is electric only then it will probably require a 30 or even 45amp supply!

If the client has now changed both to gas tell them to get a CORGI registered installer to connect them!
                              hope this helps
                              Alan
                              Yup cheers alan thats just what i'm going to advise him to do, never did get my CORGI/ACOPS ?, never could afford the charge or the time off self employment to do it, and dont need the aggrivation now.

Comment

Working...
                              X