Is the goverment actually listening for a change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the goverment actually listening for a change

like hell i bet we get shafted double later...........

Fuel duty increase is postponed

The rise in fuel duty has led to protests

The planned 2p increase in fuel duty this October is to be postponed.
    This is the second time it has been postponed - it was due to be introduced in March, but was delayed for six months because of rising oil prices.
    Chancellor Alistair Darling said: "The global credit crunch and sharp rise in world oil prices have pushed up prices at the pump.
    "Today's decision will help motorists and businesses get through what is a difficult time for everyone."
    Mr Darling's announcement came ahead of a Conservative-called debate on fuel duty set to take place in the House of Commons on Wednesday afternoon.
    Months of misery
    The Tories are proposing a "fair fuel duty stabiliser" which would lower the levy when the cost of fuel goes up and increase it when it drops.
    The RAC welcomed Mr Darling's announcement, but said: "It does not go far enough. We would like to see the chancellor not just postpone future rises but actually cut fuel duty."
    Many motorists have endured months of misery and this is a welcome piece of good news for them

AA president Edmund King said: "We are delighted that the chancellor has seen common sense.
    "The prospect of extra, government-inflicted pain was not something that road users were looking forward to.
    "Many motorists have endured months of misery and this is a welcome piece of good news for them."
    Kate Gibbs, of the Road Haulage Association, said anything that helped the road haulage industry was "good news" although the postponement of the fuel duty rise represented "quite a small drop in the ocean".
    The decision was disclosed in a response to a parliamentary question tabled by a Labour backbencher.
    Hints
    Mr Darling said: "Postponing the planned increase in fuel duty is consistent with the government's commitment to support the Bank of England in maintaining low inflation."
    It comes as oil prices have nearly doubled over the past year and lorry drivers have mounted a series of demonstrations demanding cheaper diesel.
    The AA said the cost of a litre of unleaded petrol averaged at 119.5p across the UK on Tuesday, with diesel averaging out at 133p. Figures show petrol prices have risen nearly a quarter during the past year, and diesel 36%. Earlier this month, Gordon Brown signalled that delaying the 2p rise was a distinct possibility when he said it was something he was looking at "very, very carefully".
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

I was bored the other day so tried working out my tax for last financial year. Without tax I would have spent £400 on fuel (this doesn't include any bought with cash because my computer doesn't record them). Instead I spent nearly £1500, Vat on it's own came to over £200.

With VAT it works out that for every penny increase the Government get an extra 0.15p.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
      I was bored the other day so tried working out my tax for last financial year. Without tax I would have spent £400 on fuel (this doesn't include any bought with cash because my computer doesn't record them). Instead I spent nearly £1500, Vat on it's own came to over £200.

With VAT it works out that for every penny increase the Government get an extra 0.15p.
      We are the only country that accept tax on tax

its a joke and we the motorist are the but of it
      If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

It's nowt to do with listening. Even those muppets have to realise eventually that there's a fine line where they are just literally begging for a kicking, and I think they've finally just twigged in that regard. They won't do sod all to actually help people though. They're only interested in preserving their own necks, nothing more.

Comment

Are they listening..... No they have medical problems !!!!!
          But they don't /won't disclose there hard of hearing ............

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
          Buncefield Burner

Comment

there's a by-election coming up, could this be a way of buying votes? er no, i think its a bit late for that with any luck they will lose there deposit .

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post

Remember, you also pay VAT on the duty. £1500 spend on fuel will give the government well over £1000 in tax and duty.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                Remember, you also pay VAT on the duty. £1500 spend on fuel will give the government well over £1000 in tax and duty.
                Unfortunately I hadn't forgoten. I took the VAT off the full amount when doing calculations, and then deducted the duty.

Of course always remember the 5% that they add to your insurance premium, just because you legally insure your car.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
                X