Some exhaust help required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by new surf View Post
    Biohazzard if you are still looking for a lift pump off a MK1 check this out on fleabay 190236236864:
    Thanks old bean .....that one has been about for a while ......have now adapted a 2nd gen one to work..... but If you see any more first gen stuff let me know
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
      I recently modified my exhaust at Drumclog, and not the kind of modifications you wish for.
      Just to clarify mine's a 2.4, 2nd gen.
      I basically ripped the rear section off and left that in Scotland and drove home with the first 2 sections in place, but somehow out of line and riding too high and too far back.
      Upon inspection I discovered the reason for the misalignment, which was a bend exhaust mount, the one thats bolted to the frame and clamps to the rear of the first section, just before the flange. When I removed the mount today I noticed that the first section has a lot of play as it comes down the side of the engine, as it is not possible to see the section completely due to all the shrouds, etc. I was wondering if this is normal as to allow for vibration of the engine. I started to remove the shrouds from the top first , near the turbo and am working my way down but I dont want to continue if this flexability/ play is normal. Has anyone had experience with fitting an exhaust?

Changed my front pipe last weekend (never again) Have you checked the bracket that bolts onto the gearbox housing? It maybe the clamp which holds the exhaust onto this bracket may have rotted and broken. To remove the bracket you will need a 17m socket and or spanner, depending which way you want to get to it. The 'flexi' bit on the front pipe is like corrigated steel and not that flexiable, as I found out. The old front pipe did not want to come out and the new one didn't want to go in. As i said never again next time some poor person in a garage will change it!!!!

Comment

Just an update - for those interested
        I removed the front pipe- found it was easier to remove it along with the manifold section just after , just after the turbo. I say "just after" twice as im not sure what that is just after the turbo, with all the heat sheilds bolted to it. Anyway as the last post said, there is a section on the front pipe thats flexible, its hidden under the heat shrouds and as someone mentioned yesterday just behind the brake lines. I checked the pipe for damage, none of, and refit the pipe. The funny thing is that if you position the pipe to fit into the bracket which is mounted to the side of the trani housing, it routes the pipe way below the front shaft and therefore becomes the lowest point in that area and not very good for off road as it leaves it well exposed. I used the 2nd bracket, which is bolted to the underframe to keep the pipe nice and high and out of the way, still avoiding the drive shaft. It is quite a secure fit withiut that 1st bracket. I am now going to find a garage to fabricate a custom setup, hopefully coming off the front pipe before it goes under the drive shaft and exhaust out the off side near the rear of the drivers door. I saw Lindas truck with the exhaust on the other side and that was quite tidy, I'm going to try and push it one step further. Has anyone else done any customisations to their exhaust as a few different ideas would be usefull.
        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

If you reply to Gordon, please use paragraphs.
          He might catch on.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
            Just an update - for those interested
            I removed the front pipe- found it was easier to remove it along with the manifold section just after , just after the turbo.

I say "just after" twice as im not sure what that is just after the turbo, with all the heat sheilds bolted to it.

Anyway as the last post said, there is a section on the front pipe thats flexible, its hidden under the heat shrouds and as someone mentioned yesterday just behind the brake lines.

I checked the pipe for damage, none of, and refit the pipe.

The funny thing is that if you position the pipe to fit into the bracket which is mounted to the side of the trani housing, it routes the pipe way below the front shaft and therefore becomes the lowest point in that area and not very good for off road as it leaves it well exposed.

I used the 2nd bracket, which is bolted to the underframe to keep the pipe nice and high and out of the way, still avoiding the drive shaft. It is quite a secure fit withiut that 1st bracket.

I am now going to find a garage to fabricate a custom setup, hopefully coming off the front pipe before it goes under the drive shaft and exhaust out the off side near the rear of the drivers door.

I saw Lindas truck with the exhaust on the other side and that was quite tidy, I'm going to try and push it one step further.

Has anyone else done any customisations to their exhaust as a
            few
            different
            ideas
            would
            be
            usefull.
            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by nettielikescars View Post
              Changed my front pipe last weekend (never again) Have you checked the bracket that bolts onto the gearbox housing? It maybe the clamp which holds the exhaust onto this bracket may have rotted and broken. To remove the bracket you will need a 17m socket and or spanner, depending which way you want to get to it. The 'flexi' bit on the front pipe is like corrigated steel and not that flexiable, as I found out. The old front pipe did not want to come out and the new one didn't want to go in. As i said never again next time some poor person in a garage will change it!!!!
              its not that bad when you have the car up in the air, and the right tools. eg, an air saw to cut the old one off, and a tig welder to weld a new one back on leaving everything in place while you do so. those flexible couplings are complete khack. they can sometimes only last a year, then they start farting at you again.

all they do is let the engine move whilst keepin the exhaust still, therefore reducing stress on the mounting brackets and stopping the exhaust from knocking on things it passes through or by.

i think you can get away without one on surfs, but at the end of the day the manufacturer put them there for a reason...
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
              X