Some exhaust help required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some exhaust help required

I recently modified my exhaust at Drumclog, and not the kind of modifications you wish for.
    Just to clarify mine's a 2.4, 2nd gen.
    I basically ripped the rear section off and left that in Scotland and drove home with the first 2 sections in place, but somehow out of line and riding too high and too far back.
    Upon inspection I discovered the reason for the misalignment, which was a bend exhaust mount, the one thats bolted to the frame and clamps to the rear of the first section, just before the flange. When I removed the mount today I noticed that the first section has a lot of play as it comes down the side of the engine, as it is not possible to see the section completely due to all the shrouds, etc. I was wondering if this is normal as to allow for vibration of the engine. I started to remove the shrouds from the top first , near the turbo and am working my way down but I dont want to continue if this flexability/ play is normal. Has anyone had experience with fitting an exhaust?
    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
    I basically ripped the rear section off and left that in Scotland and drove home with the first 2 sections in place.

Has anyone had experience with fitting an exhaust?
    Not fitting, but have done the run back home with a missing back section, oh the joys of Salisbury
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
      I recently modified my exhaust at Drumclog, and not the kind of modifications you wish for.
      Just to clarify mine's a 2.4, 2nd gen.
      I basically ripped the rear section off and left that in Scotland and drove home with the first 2 sections in place, but somehow out of line and riding too high and too far back.
      Upon inspection I discovered the reason for the misalignment, which was a bend exhaust mount, the one thats bolted to the frame and clamps to the rear of the first section, just before the flange. When I removed the mount today I noticed that the first section has a lot of play as it comes down the side of the engine, as it is not possible to see the section completely due to all the shrouds, etc. I was wondering if this is normal as to allow for vibration of the engine. I started to remove the shrouds from the top first , near the turbo and am working my way down but I dont want to continue if this flexability/ play is normal. Has anyone had experience with fitting an exhaust?
      there shouldnt be any play in the downpipe from the turbo,there should however be a flexible joint on the first section as it bends around the gearbox.if memory is right.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
        there shouldnt be any play in the downpipe from the turbo,there should however be a flexible joint on the first section as it bends around the gearbox.if memory is right.
        middle section has the flexi joint ........going senile Mark
        ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
          middle section has the flexi joint ........going senile Mark
          what who the feck are you.what flexi joint,where am i,what am i doing here.????oh by the way thanks for correcting me mate.
          Last edited by surfenstein; 12 July 2008, 20:40.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

The down pipe has a bellows style flexi link in it just after the turbo outlet, you cant see it because the heat shields cover it. there is also another bracket which may have broken to give a lot of play on the down pipe, this is best located under the drivers front wheel arch and can be seen behind the brake pipes, if this has broken like mine did,then secure it with a suitable jubilee clip to save the trouble of stripping the system.
            IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Intresting fix , must remember that one ............

Hey stein i also stand corrected ............walks off to kick a hobbit

Comment

Originally posted by new surf View Post
                The down pipe has a bellows style flexi link in it just after the turbo outlet, you cant see it because the heat shields cover it. there is also another bracket which may have broken to give a lot of play on the down pipe, this is best located under the drivers front wheel arch and can be seen behind the brake pipes, if this has broken like mine did,then secure it with a suitable jubilee clip to save the trouble of stripping the system.
                You sir are on the right track. I will have a look again tomorrow as this is exactly where the play in the pipe is.
                Thanx
                私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Intresting fix , must remember that one ............

Hey stein i also stand corrected ............walks off to kick a hobbit
                  ouch!!!! hey dont kick me just coz we were both wrong. its been a while since i saw a standard exhaust system.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

ouch!!!! hey dont kick me just coz we were both wrong. its been a while since i saw a standard exhaust system.

Saying that ......i dont think that superduper exhaust off my second gen will fit ..........been measureing up and it would be a shame to butcher it so going to stick it on fleabay

Comment

Saying that ......i dont think that superduper exhaust off my second gen will fit ..........been measureing up and it would be a shame to butcher it so going to stick it on fleabay
                      thats a shame.thats a really good s/s system you have there.never seen one like it before.are you sure we cant get it to fit.???
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

thats a shame.thats a really good s/s system you have there.never seen one like it before.are you sure we cant get it to fit.???
                        the middle box needs to be shortened by about 18 inches and even then i do not think it will fit on the down pipe ......apart from 2nd to 1st gen it's also auto to manual and the downpipes run different routes

Comment

Biohazzard if you are still looking for a lift pump off a MK1 check this out on fleabay 190236236864:
                          IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

the middle box needs to be shortened by about 18 inches and even then i do not think it will fit on the down pipe ......apart from 2nd to 1st gen it's also auto to manual and the downpipes run different routes
                            what you need is someone with a welder and a disc cutter and the know how.give tony a ring.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

what you need is someone with a welder and a disc cutter and the know how.give tony a ring.

Comment

Working...
                              X