She failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She failed

Well it had to happen one of these years, but wait until you hear on what it failed.

N/S front position lamp incorrect colour.
    O/S front position lamp incorrect colour.
    N/S headlamp aim to low.
    O/S headlamp aim to low.
    N/S headlamp main beam not working.
    O/S headlamp main beam not working.

So how to fix this.
    Change sidelight bulbs back to normal filament bulbs.
    Change headlamp bulbs back to filament bulbs.
    Raise the aim.

Job done retest Monday.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Right now thats all done and dusted, and she has another years ticket, I'll explain. I run LED sidelight bulbs, now to my eyes they are white but my inspector (whom I trust) says that VOSA would class them as giving a blueish tinge so thats a fail. I also run HiDs which I adjusted lower from when the trailer was on the back and due to him having a slot when I arrived to book her in, I didn't give me chance to readjust them back up. Also the HiDs where not showing a good enougth difference between main beam and dip, I haven't noticed because they are that good on dip I don't use main beam much, and I have extra lights (which get switched off for the MOT).
    Anyone out there running LEDs or HiDs might need to check this before their MOT.

Hence changing all bulbs back to normal allowed me to pass. Not bad when she has been sat in the garden since I returned form holiday, and I hadn't had time to prep her. Also this is her second ever failure.

Now before next year he wants :-
    New boots (well they are five and they have had some use).
    The lower ball joints looked at because they are lifting slightly (probably replacement as this fixed the lift last time).
    And finally he want me to drop the fuel tank to check the brake pipes throughly as he thinks there is signs of corrosion there, but he can't see because of the fuel tank.

All in all not bad for a 16 year old motor.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Bit anal that inspector ain't he? Doesn't the word lenient exist anymore? It's not as if you were going to put other road user's lives in danger was it??!!

Comment

Being anal myself, I'd get the part number of the LED. From that, you can get the output spectrum. That will tell you if its blue or white. If it's white, put them back in and tell him to get his eyes checked cos physics says they're white.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Bit anal that inspector ain't he? Doesn't the word lenient exist anymore?
          No, not really, in the old paper days he was lenient. Now he's reasonable.

He's an old chap thats been doing it for years, and could probably teach VOSA how to do it properly, but nowadays they are watched, so as long as my truck is correct at the time of MOT he's fine. Also I trust him (even if he's never worked on the truck).

What bulbs do you think are in my truck now?
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Being anal myself, I'd get the part number of the LED. From that, you can get the output spectrum. That will tell you if its blue or white. If it's white, put them back in and tell him to get his eyes checked cos physics says they're white.
            Its really not worth the effort, all that will happen is you have to find a new MOT place.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
            X