No announcement yet.

CV Boots - Need a quick answer please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Boots - Need a quick answer please!

Chaps, need a quick answer to this one. Can I change the inner CV boots by just disconnecting the drive shaft at the diff end. Been told I can, but wanna make sure before I start the job,

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
    Chaps, need a quick answer to this one. Can I change the inner CV boots by just disconnecting the drive shaft at the diff end. Been told I can, but wanna make sure before I start the job,

Cheers, Nick
    Do a search - there are a couple of write ups on this. I only know that you need to make sure the wishbones are in line to be able to get them off.

Any help? http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm
    Last edited by Bibs; 11 July 2008, 15:03.
    How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

yes you can but you will need a internal cirvclip removal tool to get the knuckle off to get the boot on.
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for the prompt replies,

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          yes you can but you will need a internal cirvclip removal tool to get the knuckle off to get the boot on.
          It's an external snap ring.

Nev

Comment

Cheers again,

Nick

Comment

Sorry, but has anyone actually done it this way, cos no matter which way I have the wishbones there is not enough space to get the end of the shaft off cos the diff flange is still in the way - and I'm starting to get the right hump!!! How do you even get the wishbones parallel cos if I jack them the truck lifts before they are parallel?

Cheers, Nick
              Last edited by Nick V; 16 July 2008, 15:46.

Comment

Sorry, but has anyone actually done it this way, cos no matter which way I have the wishbones there is not enough space to get the end of the shaft off cos the diff flange is still in the way - and I'm starting to get the right hump!!! How do you even get the wishbones parallel cos if I jack them the truck lifts before they are parallel?

Cheers, Nick
                Two jacks one on the rail to lift the truck. Then a trolley jack under the wishbone to adjust the angle to allow the half shaft to slip out.
                Someone on the trolley jack helps a lot.

Take the shaft off and replace both, if one is gone the other wont be to clever. It's an hours work tops.
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  Two jacks one on the rail to lift the truck. Then a trolley jack under the wishbone to adjust the angle to allow the half shaft to slip out.
                  Someone on the trolley jack helps a lot.

Take the shaft off and replace both, if one is gone the other wont be to clever. It's an hours work tops.
                  Thanx mate, but that's more or less what I have done. Had the truck on axle stands and jacked the wishbone, but before the wishbones became near parallel, the truck started to lift of the stands!!! I know this is the only way to do it, but I ain't getting there!! Think I will have another go tomorrow otherwise I can see my axle stand going through the windscreen!!

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Are your torsion bars wound tight? Maybe release the tension by half a dozen turns and try again?
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Could try that I suppose, but didn't think that was needed. Still, anything to get the job done

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Could try that I suppose, but didn't think that was needed. Still, anything to get the job done

Cheers, Nick
                        If the torsion bars are exerting too much down force on wishbones then they wont articulate all the way up, or as far as you need.
                        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Thanx again, I see what you are saying so I will give it a try tomorrow - if the rain holds off!!

Cheers, Nick

Comment

To wind down the torsion bars does the nut on the top of the bolt need to be undone or is that fixed so that you have to just undo the bottom one? Silly question, but will save me any hassle!!

Cheers again, Nick

Comment

Bottom one only mate
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X