V8 Surf..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 Surf..............

New power for the grey surf is now lurking in the garage.

Vroooommmmmm................

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

is it the 2 bikes in the garage mate? pedal power you'll save a fortune on fuel LOL
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Are you keeping SU's or going for holley/edelbrock conversion?

If you do that you can get an adapter which fits between carb and manifold so you could be NOS powered. Oh the fun

Comment

mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Originally posted by sammy
          Are you keeping SU's or going for holley/edelbrock conversion?

If you do that you can get an adapter which fits between carb and manifold so you could be NOS powered. Oh the fun
          Its gonna be a gas motor, but not Nos! only LPG hehe. Hopefully, I can get hold of a EFI intake and manifold as the gas runs better through it than carbs.

But gotta strip it down first, check it out, and rebuilt it with loads of compression and a fat cam.

Comment

V8

Hi Tony what gearbox are you going to use and what happened to the old motor bottom end l mean.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              Its gonna be a gas motor, but not Nos! only LPG hehe. Hopefully, I can get hold of a EFI intake and manifold as the gas runs better through it than carbs.

But gotta strip it down first, check it out, and rebuilt it with loads of compression and a fat cam.
              Tony ,
              You must know that when you hot up a Rovr V8 the ends and mains fail . My mate used to work at the old BL garage near me . He had the original LHD TR8 prototype when they scrapped it . He hotted it up but uprated the bottom end with a full steel bearing cap set up .

PURE POWER

Looks like an early Range Rover lump ? Strombergs !

Rick
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux
                Hi Tony what gearbox are you going to use and what happened to the old motor bottom end l mean.
                Borg Warner 65 out of a SD1 mated to a toyota T-case. Nothing's happened to the toy bottom end - its still keeping the patient alive until the new motor's ready for the transplant.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                  Tony ,
                  You must know that when you hot up a Rovr V8 the ends and mains fail . My mate used to work at the old BL garage near me . He had the original LHD TR8 prototype when they scrapped it . He hotted it up but uprated the bottom end with a full steel bearing cap set up .

PURE POWER

Looks like an early Range Rover lump ? Strombergs !

Rick
                  It's not gonna have CRAZY power LPG likes high compression and advanced ignition timing to run nice.

Guy said it was from an SD1 but SD1's have SU's. Looks more like a RR to me

Comment

Hi Tony, God that engine looks abused I rebuilt one a couple of years back, spent almost £2000 on it cam, holly, timing gear, lightened/balanced flywheel etc etc, don't forget the heads will need doing for leadfree, another tip is use a composite headgasket they last a bit longer, have fun.

John
                    [size=4][font=franklin gothic medium][color=lime]Every Day Above Ground is a Good Day[/color][/font][/size]
                    [img]http://www.vertueren.gb.com/welshflag.gif[/img] [color=red]Gods Country[/color]

Comment

Ah so thats where my SUZIengin went.

sumo.
                      If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

Originally posted by rockey
                        Hi Tony, God that engine looks abused I rebuilt one a couple of years back, spent almost £2000 on it cam, holly, timing gear, lightened/balanced flywheel etc etc, don't forget the heads will need doing for leadfree, another tip is use a composite headgasket they last a bit longer, have fun.

John
                        May use the heads off my pickup motor, they are skimmed and worked over, these heads can go on the pickup just for playing in the mud, so can use a lead additive and unleaded, but they may be OK, depends what the motor came out of.

Don't need to worry about expensive carbs, as its running LPG only. no flywheel as its an auto, so hopefully just a rebuild gasket set, some bearings and a Buick water pump and we're good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by sumo
                          Ah so thats where my SUZIengin went.

sumo.
                          HA! thats bigger than your whole zuki!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                            It's not gonna have CRAZY power LPG likes high compression and advanced ignition timing to run nice.

Guy said it was from an SD1 but SD1's have SU's. Looks more like a RR to me
                            Later SD1's have EFI, And there much better than standard SU's, But if its higher compression you want, why not go for a twin holley set up fastened to a nice supercharger, I keep seeing them come upon ebay.
                            http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=43120
                            You know it would look....nice!

Comment

Hi Tony

Well, looks like you're gonna have some fun over the next few weeks. I have to say I know naff all about engines, and didn't really care untill now I've got my beloved truck, and let's face, it a little under bonnet knowledge is essential! I want to know more.

I hope you're going to keep us all well and truly informed of your progress. I'm sure I'm not the only one who want's to see how you get on.

Maximum respect dude!!!

simon

Comment

Working...
                              X