No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever changed their own........................... .......front pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever changed their own........................... .......front pipe

Has anyone ever changed their own front pipe or have you let a garage do it for you??????

If you have changed your own how did you undo the nuts on the Turbo manifold/exhaust???

i took the one off my breaker, it was ###### hard work and much skin and blood was shed along the way, a couple of the bolts are right #######s to get to, i had no aircon pump in the way either. Technically it ain't difficult, but if you don't mind a bit of blood and sweat, inevitably losing some knuckles and getting right ####ed off with that bolt that you just can't quite get to it isn't really that hard.

Haven't ever fitted a new one back on though, but it can't be that much harder ... can it?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
      i took the one off my breaker, it was ###### hard work and much skin and blood was shed along the way, a couple of the bolts are right #######s to get to, i had no aircon pump in the way either. Technically it ain't difficult, but if you don't mind a bit of blood and sweat, inevitably losing some knuckles and getting right ####ed off with that bolt that you just can't quite get to it isn't really that hard.

Haven't ever fitted a new one back on though, but it can't be that much harder ... can it?
      I have loosened most of the bolts except 2 that the top which i cannot get to, i just wondered if the only way was to take off the turbo manifold then undo the 2 nuts or was there another way. I have tried extra long extentions on the sockets etc the only way i have not tried is standing on me head!

I have ordered the metal gasket from Mr T and hopefully pick it up tomorrow.

I still have all knuckles and fingernails in tact, got loads of scratches from brake fluid heat sheild.

Many thanks for your help.

Comment

I lifted the engine out to get it off, then sold it to Mitsy.

p.s. the engine didn't go back in, it's gone to Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          I lifted the engine out to get it off, then sold it to Mitsy.

p.s. the engine didn't go back in, it's gone to Scotland.
          Thanks, but i need the engine and not reaaly a jib that i could do on my driveway, mind you it would give the neighbours something to talk about.

Just imagine a 5' 3" female in her smelly, oily overalls removing an engine on a council house driveway>

Comment

Hi there matey took mine to a garage I use in Reading ,
            they had it up on the ramp to get it off .
            they took away the heat shield thingy on the front pipe
            and with a long exstenstion bar took the bolts out .
            they did warn me that they can snap off if not careful !

All sorted with out any probs , thats cos they did it ha ha

Chris
            GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

First take off the heat shield's from the turbo and the brake master cyl.
              Then jack up the front nearside and remove the wheel,
              inside the wheel arch remove the 4 10mm bolt to remove the plate to give access to the oil filter area, while your there remove the clamp holding the pipe opposite the brake lines.
              Disconnect from the flexi pipe and remove the holding bracket underneath.
              Remove the 4 retaing nuts from the back of the Turbo elbow.
              If you are going to reuse the pipe then juggle it around so you can get at the bolts to remove the turbo elbow, then remove the pipe from underneath.
              Or if the pipe has had it leave the turbo elbow on an hacksaw on the first 90 deg bend on the down pipe then remove from the top of the engine bay then remove the nuts.
              Reassembly, I used the milners one with the up graded flexi pipe so the heat shield is not fitted.
              insert the pipe from the bottom and attatch the turbo elbow so you can get at all the bolts then bolt to the turbo.
              Fit to the flexi pipe, then refit all the bracket's and the shield's.
              I used a jubilee clip to hold the pipe to the bracket near the brake pipes as mine was rusted.
              As I said there is no heat shield on my pipe, and even though it is close to the brake lines I have done 3000 miles with no brake problem's.
              Hope this help's, and the finger's heal after a week.
              IT's not how you get in it . IT's how you get out.

Comment

Its done

At last its on minus the heat sheild at the top. This will be the first and last time I ever fit a front pipe on a surf, in future I will let some poor unsuspecting gargae do it.

But at least it now sounds and goes better than it did.

Many thanks for all your advise, no doubt will need some more when i replace the front shock, but that will not be for a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by nettielikescars View Post
                  At last its on minus the heat sheild at the top. This will be the first and last time I ever fit a front pipe on a surf, in future I will let some poor unsuspecting gargae do it.

But at least it now sounds and goes better than it did.

Many thanks for all your advise, no doubt will need some more when i replace the front shock, but that will not be for a month or so.
                  Front shocks are a doddle if the bottom bolt doesn't seize onto the collar inside the bottom bush, worth spraying them up with wd40 for a couple of weeks before removing.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                  X