Front Shock Absorber Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Shock Absorber Mounting

Anyone got any trick ideas for getting the front lower shock absorber bolt out? Mine has siezed solid to the sleeve in the bush. Hitting the bolt only bends the mountings.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

I take it you've tried the usual (penetrating oil etc)

What about heat? Blowtorch?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Anyone got any trick ideas for getting the front lower shock absorber bolt out? Mine has siezed solid to the sleeve in the bush. Hitting the bolt only bends the mountings.
      I used a large pin punch to knock the bolt through. Try it with the weight of the truck on it's wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        oohhhh......tough break!

I've had to saw down either side of the bush in the past. Its not pretty.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

We had a quick bash at the penetrating oil, but I think it's past that stage. Didn't do the heat thing as that's not recoverable and I didn't want to be carless this weekend. Cutting the thing to bits is the next plan, it looks tight though. Will an angle grinder get it?

I don't think the punch will do, the rear part of the mounting is bending when hit.

Wondering if there's enough room to get a puller/press in to press it out?
          Last edited by Albannach; 2 July 2008, 20:18.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I think getting a replacement bolt and cutting is yer best bet Andy.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

What Tony said is a good idea. Hacksaw will probably get down the side of the bush.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
              X