overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overdrive

hi again have looked around site cant find answer so gonna ask...over drive..on evry day driving should it b on or off..for better fuel economy..just seems to be using more than expected...have overdrive on?thx peeps!

generally around town o/d off motorway on its like a 5th gear
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by reefer
      hi again have looked around site cant find answer so gonna ask...over drive..on evry day driving should it b on or off..for better fuel economy..just seems to be using more than expected...have overdrive on?thx peeps!
      The general opinion is to leave it on all the time, and those that have played around have said that fuel consumption is no different,

Cheers, Nick
      "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

the surf doesnt like it on as it tends to labour at low speeds
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
          the surf doesnt like it on as it tends to labour at low speeds
          Unless you've got a 3.0
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Leave it on the car will sort itself out as to which gear she wants to use
            Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Originally posted by reefer

Generally it should be off according to the manuals, but on if you want to get higher revs in lower gears....
              Gaz

Comment

i leave it on so the "off" bulb doesn't get worn out... and it doesn't make a spot of difference to the driving... only use it if i want to go through the gears 1st 2nd 3rd 4th for a change.
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I just use it for the engine brake when going down steep hills. Very useful for that.

Comment

I use it for that too. I tend to leave o/d off (ie, with the O/D OFF light illuminated) around town and only turn it on once i'm on a decent road or doing more than 40/45. I find that it makes the car's speed easier to control as it seems to change the shift pattern quite a bit and the revs are higher. Also means the power is immediately available for accelerating through amber lights and making it through those gaps on the roundabout
                    Last edited by Rob; 7 April 2004, 21:26.

Comment

I tend to leave it on all the time and only use it as an engine brake if I've left me braking late for the roundabouts. Most of the time it sorts itself out in O/D (light off) on pos, but I use it in the off pos if I'm loaded up to the roof with the fishing gear etc til I hit around 60mph, dont get much lag then, and can lose most people off a R/A or lights.
                      I've noticed it gets really twitchy in the wet when it's off tho...so beware

Comment

If you want twitchy turn the O/D off and put ECT on
                        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Sell it, buy a manual, problem solved.
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Try and FIND a manual!!!

Comment

HAYNES or MAX ELLERY
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...