Today I used my tools....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I used my tools....

Today I used my tools for the first time in 8 months, or since I sold my Lannie!

For the SVA test I have to remove any sharp or dodgy bits from my Smurf and I noticed that one of the front tie down hook thingies was bent. It was so bent that I couldn't get a spanner of any description anywhere near the bolts. So using my Hi lift, one part on the recovery hook and the base on the said bent bit, I managed to straighten it. All it took then was a 17mm socket and off it came. A small job, but necessary none the less.

I think a good idea would be to buy another recovery hook to replace the tie down thingie, what do you folks think? Are they readily available from Toyota or does anyone have a spare? Or has anyone got a better suggestion for front recovery points??

Cheers, Damian
    Attached Files
    Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Its only a tie down hook not recomended for towing really most 2nd gen surfs have proper hooks never seen them on a 3rd gen. i think you can buy them. someone will be able to give you more info, thats been down that street mate
    Last edited by marky; 7 April 2004, 20:14.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Ahem...pic of 3rd gen.....
      Attached Files

Comment

rob hes not got that bit
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

That's cos it's the bracket for an A-Bar.

Rich.
          Edit: This is
          Last edited by rich; 7 April 2004, 20:37.
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Originally posted by rich
            That's cos it's the bracket for an A-Bar.

Rich.
            and a towing hook.
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Marky - he has got that bit but on the other side - "So using my Hi lift, one part on the recovery hook and the base on the said bent bit [tie down eye], I managed to straighten it."
              He was on about getting another recovery hook for the other side as well, to replace the bent tie down eye.

I posted that pic to show that 3rd gens do in fact have a recovery hook, as well as the two tie down eyes.
              And yes, on Surfs with an A-bar, the bracket with the tie down eye is longer because it also supports the A-bar.

Have I cleared that up?

Comment

Its clear now! i was totally confused before & ive not even had a drink.
                cheers ROB
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

Got a bit confused myself at one stage, so I've opened a can of beer. It'll be alright in the morning

Comment

Snap. Miller !
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

You guys are confused? I wrote the thread and I'm completely lost - Going for a beer myself now!!!

Thanks, Damian.
                      Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, alchohol, it all seems clearer now. Throw that lump of steel away and use the hook on the other side

You can fit another hook if you can get one from a breaker.
                        If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Working...
                        X