Sagging question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sagging question

If I change the rear springs and shocks for 2" raised ones, like the ones roughtrax sell for example, but do nothing to the front suspension set up, am I going to find I have any problems with handling etc?
    Many thanks.

Unlikely mate. I fitted the new 20% stronger springs and 2" coil spacers and she just sits very slighly higher at the back. In fact it improved my handling.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Interesting, why did you opt for the spacers and coils rather than changing the shocks as well? If I got the 2" coils and shocks AND 2" coil spacers, would that be a good combo?
      Thanks for your advice!

Comment

Forgot to ask, where did you get the coil spacers from??

Comment

Shocks were fine mate, not nessecary to change them in my case. My mate made the coil spacers from aluminium, the drawing was supplied by Stormforce or Bushwacker (I think). If you're after spacers, or other more in depth lift specs someone more knowledgable than me will be along shortly!

They're like busses on here, you never get a reply for ages then 3 come along at once.
          'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Dont get +2" springs AND 2" spacers or you'll find the standard shocks will top out and you'll get a very harsh ride on the rear. You'd need longer shocks to suit, and then you'll find the front of the truck sits low, so you'll have to wind up the torsion bars a lot to compensate, which means balljoint spacers required if you dont want to destroy the ride quality at the front. Then you'll find you need longer front shocks etc.

I think you might be confusing 20% stiffer springs with 2" extended ones. If you aren't going the whole lifting / modifying route, the 20% stiffer springs will cure the sag and you wont need to change anything else.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks for the Apache, I kinda like the look of a lower front. I have read on here that if you change the rear springs for landcruiser ones, you can still use standard shocks as long as you are not doing too heavy offroad, do you agree? If I were to go down the landcruiser route are there any other problems I will encounter like brakeline length etc. Some people seem to think you can just bosh them in and others talk of extending various things!
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bboy02 View Post
                Thanks for the Apache, I kinda like the look of a lower front. I have read on here that if you change the rear springs for landcruiser ones, you can still use standard shocks as long as you are not doing too heavy offroad, do you agree? If I were to go down the landcruiser route are there any other problems I will encounter like brakeline length etc. Some people seem to think you can just bosh them in and others talk of extending various things!
                Thanks!
                If you fit Landcruiser springs, the standard shocks will be fully extended all the time. You'll need +2" shocks.

Comment

Hmmmm, i see, there are so many options! Did you have to alter anything else to fit the LC springs?

Comment

Originally posted by bboy02 View Post
                    Hmmmm, i see, there are so many options! Did you have to alter anything else to fit the LC springs?
                    I have a drop bracket fitted so that the panhard rod sits level, but it's not necessary. (Apparently) (Type panhard rod into the search box to see the arguments!)
                    The rigid brake line that goes accross the rear axle needs to be unclipped to allow the flexy hose to stay slack.
                    The Load sensing proportional valve (LSPV) bracket needs to be rotated through 90 degrees so the actuating arm of the LSPV is raised so that the rear wheels don't lock up under hard braking.

Comment

That does not sound too bad! I read somewhere that you are a big fan of the LC springs so your advice is much appreciated!

Comment

Agree with Vince. LC springs need longer shocks, if you value your spine.

Also, LC springs are VERY firm compared to standard and this is very noticeable (and I find slightly annoying) offroad, but are an excellent choice if you carry heavy loads frequently.

Comment

To be honest, only occasional off road. Like the idea of stiffness for on road though. Obviously this post was originally about sorting sag but I am now thinking I would like to lift a little on the rear just to get a more aggressive looking stance. Cant decide between simply getting the 2" rear lifting springs from roughtrax and keeping everything else as is, or getting the 3" rear lift using the LandCruiser's springs involving a little more work and cost with changing the shocks and panhard issues! How noticable would the 2" lifters be do you think?

Comment

Putting the LC springs on the back without doing anything to the front looks daft. Way to high at the back.

Comment

get some bj spacers rather than wind the torsion bars though,saves bouncing
                              Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X