yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack Of Acceleration. A Little Advice Please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack Of Acceleration. A Little Advice Please.

Okay it's not Surf related but I've had a lot of help from you guys in the past with tracking down faults.

My BMW (please no nasty comments, remember I DO own a Surf as well) 320D has become as flat as the proverbial fart! It doesn't seem to accelerate very well in high gears i.e. it can be tootling along nicely at 50mph on a flat road but when you put your foot down hard it just sits there, still at 50. Gradual acceleration will build up speed okay.

It also doesn't seem to want to rev above 3500 when it's driving, it's not possible to 'red line' it, which I certainly wouldn't do normally!

It starts and drives okay, no lumpiness, no misfiring and no black smoke, just flat! I have my suspicions of what it might be but I would hate to fork out £200 just to be proved wrong.

Your input is, as always, greatly appreciated.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Dirty fuel filter would be my first check. As you can't red line it that sounds like fuel starve
    Brian

Comment

if i remember right(320d's dont often go wrong),i think theres a seperate ecu that controls the turbo,ie sounds like it's going into "safe"mode,but tbh you should get lights up on dash?

Comment

No engine management lights on. Air, fuel, oil filters and oil all changed and still the fault remains.

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
          No engine management lights on. Air, fuel, oil filters and oil all changed and still the fault remains.
          tried unplugging the maf?

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
            tried unplugging the maf?
            Next on the list mate, I've been advised that the MAF sensor could be the problem. I've brought some torque(?) head drivers home tonight to remove the electrical plug. That's what I meant when I said I didn't want to spend £200 plus in vain. Evidently a MAF fault doesn't show up on a diagnostic either!

Comment

Next on the list mate, I've been advised that the MAF sensor could be the problem. I've brought some torque(?) head drivers home tonight to remove the electrical plug. That's what I meant when I said I didn't want to spend £200 plus in vain. Evidently a MAF fault doesn't show up on a diagnostic either!
              it wont be in vain,u can check first,unplug it(car may run slightly rough)drive up to speed,ie where u had probs,see wot happens,if it drives alot better thats yr fault,if still the same it's not that

Comment

It could be the fuel filter as yoshie said, have you run the tank low recently?
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                  It could be the fuel filter as yoshie said, have you run the tank low recently?
                  See post #5 Alan, all filters changed in the last week. I never let it drop below the quarter mark mate (unlike the Surf)!

Comment

See post #5 Alan, all filters changed in the last week. I never let it drop below the quarter mark mate (unlike the Surf)!
                    I saw the post, new filters get clogged too, thats why I asked about running the tank down.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

You're right of course, new filters do get clogged. I should have mentioned that the old filter was in good nick, it had only been in about 9 months and looked clean.

I removed the electrical connection to the MAF sensor this morning and it felt a little better, but not a great deal. Thing is there was no engine management / warning light came on after I unplugged it, I thought something would have shown up on the dash?

Comment

Been in touch with a mechanic friend of mine who has recommended a very reliable diagnostic guy. He said if he can't find the problem I'm in deep sh!t!

So off to the diagnostic centre on Tuesday morning. Will let you know how I get on.

Oh and to add insult to injury the wifes Ford Galaxy just failed it's MOT, so new NS bottom ball joint and 2 drop links to fit over the weekend.

Comment

Everyone is saying MAF sensor, but thats not the only concerns with the 320d apparently.....

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=53451

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            Everyone is saying MAF sensor, but thats not the only concerns with the 320d apparently.....

Wow! 81 pages regarding swirl plate failure, that sort of puts our head problems into perspective. Surely BMW are aware of this fault, but like many manufacturers they choose to ignore it by not issuing a recall.

Seems a lot of the main dealers are very helpful regarding the pricing of replacement parts etc, although that seems like they are admitting it is a design flaw.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

not everyone,just me!

Comment

Working...
                              X