where not to leave a soldering iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where not to leave a soldering iron

Was doing a spot of soldering tonight and rested the soldering iron on my leisure battery. Didn't realise the hot metal end was touching the battery, until I started to smell burning plastic

I humbly throw myself at the mercy of an idiot tribunal.

P.S Slug Man I'll still swap you the picture of Hunter if you want
    Hold my beer and watch this

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
    P.S Slug Man I'll still swap you the picture of Hunter if you want
    if you like, i'll put a soldering iron to his face??
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Was doing a spot of soldering tonight and rested the soldering iron on my leisure battery. Didn't realise the hot metal end was touching the battery, until I started to smell burning plastic
      All too easily done. One thing I might suggets is just popping some epoxy resin on that melted point though, just incase it's gone through a ways. Should prevent owt escaping.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
        All too easily done. One thing I might suggets is just popping some epoxy resin on that melted point though, just incase it's gone through a ways. Should prevent owt escaping.
        it went all the way through, can it be plugged still?

Comment

it went all the way through, can it be plugged still?
          Yeah. Araldite or suchlike should work fine. Make a bit up and pop it into the hole as the initial plug, below the level of the outer battery face. Then, when that has started setting and got to the tacky stage, make some more up and put a good second layer over, extending past the melt edges. Epoxy is resilient to acids, if I remember correctly.

The way that a soldering iron usually melts plastic gives it a good rough keyed surface, so it should bond quite well.

Comment

thanks, will have a go at reapairing tomorrow

Comment

The way that a soldering iron usually melts plastic gives it a good rough keyed surface, so it should bond quite well.
              You sound like you have lots of experience of this Matt. Not heard of an iron stand then?
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                You sound like you have lots of experience of this Matt. Not heard of an iron stand then?
                Ones modelling skills to repair customer damage have included the art of 'soldering iron modelling' in the past. Plus, one or two engineers I've worked with in the past had a novel method of removing the plastic strengtheners from chassis if they were in the way of a repair.

Comment

The word PILLOCK come to mind .............

Thats coming from someone who set his hair on fire when using a gas soldering iron
                  ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

CARELESS for you jessie very Careless does trev still put people up for the vote for this?
                    nice to know the Master is just like us
                    Enjoying Life after Cancer
                    Pops

Comment

Originally posted by pops View Post
                      CARELESS for you jessie very Careless[.........]
                      nice to know the Master is just like us
                      Ones mind works far too fast for the fingers to keep up with on occasion.

(I'm sticking to that excuse).

Comment

Working...
                      X