IT Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Help Please

I have a centre inspection tomorrow..keeps me in business if we pass. I needed to write a report for it that has just taken me 4 hours!. I was going to do the final touches in the morning but have lost the file!!. This is very important to me so if you can help read on.....thanks

I opened an email attachment word doc and clicked save as and gave it a "new name" onto my desk top. I worked for 4 hours on it always clicking CTRL + S as I made changes. I had Media player running in the back ground and wanted to shut it. When I clicked close nothing happened so I clicked again. This shut word down and my document. I opened word and looked at recent files and it's not there or on the desk top. I have used the search facility for both the file name and the wording in the doc but it's not there. I went back to the original word doc attachment and clicked save as and the "New Name" was there as an option

Any help appreciated

Cheers
    Mark

where do your word doc normally save too. could it of saved it into the word folder inside the program. try looking for it through my com, c drive, program files and it might be in one of the microsoft files

Comment

it might be worth a try, doing a search for recently modified documents
      • click 'start'
      • 'search'
      • 'all files & folders'
      • type '*.*' in 'all or part of the file name'
      • select 'when was it last modified'
      • 'specify dates'
      • insert todays date in both to and from fields

Just a thought, might work might not.

eggs sucking teach maybe, sorry.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

Thanks Gents

Unfortunately no Joy, I'm off to bed for a very early start!

Thanks for the suggestions

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Check your temp folder. Word may have created a tempfile in there.
          Last edited by MattF; 25 June 2008, 00:27.

Comment

Depending on the Email application will depend on where it will use as a temporary storeage area for attachments. Some will use C:\temp\ others C:\Windows\temp\ . Some will even use their own structure like C:\Program Files\The Bat!\MAIL\Bruce\Attachments.

Once you've located the likely storage area the next issue is the filename. Some Email applications when editing an attachment will save the file with a tilda ~ as a prefix, like ~plonker.doc or even ~plonker.tmp

So have another look around your system. Good luck
            If it ain't fun it ain't worth doing!

Comment

Working...
            X