Torch it???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch it???

Just in the process of stripping the head off the mother in laws 1998 414 rover cause the nice garage has quoted her £600 to fix the claimed blown head gasket. Just got the head off...no gasket problem but a hole blown in the top of one of the piston..

Must admit have not witnessed this particular gem before

In the opinion of those more mechanically adept at the 'bottom end' so to speak, and given the residual value of a 1998 rover, can new pistons/bolts/gaskets/seals, etc be obtained..... or does a funeral pyre await the old girl (the car that is)
    ------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

Originally posted by Scuddy View Post
    Just in the process of stripping the head off the mother in laws 1998 414 rover cause the nice garage has quoted her £600 to fix the claimed blown head gasket. Just got the head off...no gasket problem but a hole blown in the top of one of the piston..

Must admit have not witnessed this particular gem before

In the opinion of those more mechanically adept at the 'bottom end' so to speak, and given the residual value of a 1998 rover, can new pistons/bolts/gaskets/seals, etc be obtained..... or does a funeral pyre await the old girl (the car that is)
    they can but for the price of the parts,buy another one,save getting dirty lol

Comment

I had a hole in a piston on my Mk1 MR2, loads and loads of smoke seconds before it went BANG! on the fast lane of the M62 near Burtonwood services. Said piston then proceeded to part company with it's rod at the little end, and then said rod decided to head out through the block momentarily locking the rear wheels at about 40mph (I was slowing down and on the hard shoulder at the time)

I found all this out when it was stripped, but obviously was beyond repair so I had a new engine put in.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Sounds pretty wild...I thought the mr2 engines were solid?
        No bangs or thrown pistons here just a nice hole
        ------------------------------------
        Look out! Ee

Comment

Yeah they are. Mine was a high miler and had been driven very very hard. Back in my boy racer days it was a 'drive it like you stole it' thing. It screamed out to be driven to 7500 revs all the time.

I'd love another. Finest drivers car I ever owned.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

go for a replacement out a breaker, or a re-con engine...

try somewhere like ivor searle, they do good recons and deliver next day and then collect the old unit when you're done... all come in a proper metal frame/crate and not like a leaky mess on a pallet!!
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Yeah they are. Mine was a high miler and had been driven very very hard. Back in my boy racer days it was a 'drive it like you stole it' thing. It screamed out to be driven to 7500 revs all the time.

I'd love another. Finest drivers car I ever owned.
              A fantasic liitle motor!

I owned a couple of these back in the 80's . The rev limiter came on at 8200rpm, great fun. Aquaplaned on standard rubber at high speed but in the dry unbeatable!

They got a throw away engine at high miles tho as the crank is hollow and regrinds AFAIK are not possible.
              www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Originally posted by europa88 View Post
                Aquaplaned on standard rubber at high speed but in the dry unbeatable!
                huh????

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                  huh????
                  Had Continental tyres as standard and they were carp at removing water at speed, but as I said brilliant in the dry!

Comment

Had Continental tyres as standard and they were carp at removing water at speed, but as I said brilliant in the dry!

sorry, i read it wrong!!....

thought you'd aquaplaned in the dry!!...

d'oh!!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                      sorry, i read it wrong!!....

thought you'd aquaplaned in the dry!!...

d'oh!!
                      Mate, on the Cumnor bypass going down to the roundabout at an indicated 150mph (Speedo way out) If I sneezed or farted It would have.

Of course I never actually was there, or exceeded 70mph!

Comment

Mate, on the Cumnor bypass going down to the roundabout at an indicated 150mph (Speedo way out) If I sneezed or farted It would have.

Of course I never actually was there, or exceeded 70mph!
                        150 in an mr2,hmm i cant think why it aquaplained atall,honest lol,my skyline was fine in the wet............on a straight road

Comment

Yeah, Well I only did it once in the wet!

Comment

Yeah, Well I only did it once in the wet!
                            i bet,jeez 150 in wet,i only ever managed 197mh in skyline,but in the dry tho lol

Comment

Working...
                            X