extra socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extra socket

putting a extra socket in the rear of the truck , have a fused [20 amp] live running through truck [think towbar]
    gonna take the feed off that ,
    will 8 amp wire be allright to use??[cos i have some lol]
    only going to use for cooler box etc
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Fuse it at 7.5A (brown fuse) and it will be fine
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

cheers andy
      stuck a 5amp fuse in it for the moment[aint got no 7.5 fuses]

Comment

Whats been suggested is right but after I added a rear socket with similar ratings I kept blowing the fuse and ended up rewiring with 25amp wire and 20 fuse, alot of the gadgets I use are thirstier than I imagined, Tyre pump, light, fridge etc all needed more juice so worth looking at the ratings of what you want to use to save running bigger wire through again in a month.
        Darren

Comment

Think my mini fridge was 4amps so what you've put in would work. I've put a 30amp cable into the back for running a fridge, light plus a couple of sockets. got it's own fuse box too
          Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            Whats been suggested is right but after I added a rear socket with similar ratings I kept blowing the fuse and ended up rewiring with 25amp wire and 20 fuse, alot of the gadgets I use are thirstier than I imagined, Tyre pump, light, fridge etc all needed more juice so worth looking at the ratings of what you want to use to save running bigger wire through again in a month.
            Darren
            will change it to 25 amp wire soon , just wanted to check where wire runs etc
            easy to change

Comment

sorted went to halfraud and got some 27 amp wire ,all done [apart from an extra hole]

Comment

I was thinking of doind the same mod for our cool box in the boot where do you pick up the feed from? straight from the battery? of can you just come from the Cig lighter in the front?

Comment

it was a live feed from battery to towbar , just spliced into that by the cubby hole in the back ,earthed into truck body
                  if that hadn't been there would have took live straight from battery

Comment

I've been thinking of wiring a third battery into one of the cubby holes, and fitting a split charge system for it. I've picked up a 17Ah battery that should fit perfectly. Then fitting a lighter type socket and maybe an inverter in there too through holes in the pocket door. Perfect for running a few things without risking the main batteries.
                    Paul </Slugsie>
                    Immortal.so far!

Comment

I have replaced one of my main batteries in the front with a 75 amp hour leasure battery (the remianing main battery is a big bugga now to make up for the loss) To charge the leasure battery I ran a 30amp wire off the main through a relay into the leasure. The relay is controlled by a switch in the truck. Off the leasure battery I ran a 30amp cable to the back of the truck and into a fusebox, so each thing I have running from it has it's own fuse. The system is totally seperate from the main electrics so I can't drain the main battery by mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_chaos View Post
                        I have replaced one of my main batteries in the front with a 75 amp hour leasure battery (the remianing main battery is a big bugga now to make up for the loss) To charge the leasure battery I ran a 30amp wire off the main through a relay into the leasure. The relay is controlled by a switch in the truck. Off the leasure battery I ran a 30amp cable to the back of the truck and into a fusebox, so each thing I have running from it has it's own fuse. The system is totally seperate from the main electrics so I can't drain the main battery by mistake.
                        I hope you have a 25 amp fuse close to the battery (Within 18 inches) for that... a 30 amp fire is not a pretty sight!!!
                        1993 HiLux Surf (mine)
                        1998 RAV4 (hers)

Comment

Originally posted by SURFerRob View Post
                          I hope you have a 25 amp fuse close to the battery (Within 18 inches) for that... a 30 amp fire is not a pretty sight!!!
                          I will do tonight, might buy a fire extinguisher too

Comment

Working...
                          X