Fog Light question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog Light question

My friend has just bought a nice Surf 3.0 2nd Gen. We have found a problem which is when the fog light is switched on it blows the heater plug fuse
    (30amp) which means obviously it wont run. So we think the easiest way round it is ti wire it correctly from scratch, stripping out the old wiring. My question is how sould it be wired? has anyone a diagram or simple explanation
    please.
    Trust your Hound.

take a feed from the sidelight circuit (or illumination circuit for radio, dials + switches) which is only live when the sidelights are on, through an illuminated switch to a relay (terminal 85), run an earth to terminal 86. Take a 12V+ from the battery through a fuse to terminal 30, and then terminal 87 connect to the foglight. Run the earth from the foglight back to the chassis/body somewhere.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
      take a feed from the sidelight circuit (or illumination circuit for radio, dials + switches) which is only live when the sidelights are on, through an illuminated switch to a relay (terminal 85), run an earth to terminal 86. Take a 12V+ from the battery through a fuse to terminal 30, and then terminal 87 connect to the foglight. Run the earth from the foglight back to the chassis/body somewhere.
      Sorry if I sound thick but electrics arent my strong point. Do I just get a relay from the auto shop and this will have the terminal numbers you mention?
      Or is this relay already on the truck somewhere. The switch has three terminals do I use all three? Whats the middle one for.
      Last edited by Taliesins; 13 June 2008, 17:53.
      Trust your Hound.

Comment

any motor factors should have them, i think they're about £6 in halfords but most independent motor factors should be about £4, it's just a standard 4 pin relay, a 5 pin changeover relay would be fine too, it just has an extra terminal (87a) which you would ignore in this case.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

any motor factors should have them, i think they're about £6 in halfords but most independent motor factors should be about £4, it's just a standard 4 pin relay, a 5 pin changeover relay would be fine too, it just has an extra terminal (87a) which you would ignore in this case.
          Thanks Nero got it all sorted and working including fitting some angel eye spots today.
          Trust your Hound.

Comment

less than £2 from maplin
            www.puppywalker.co.uk

Comment

Nero279 y do we use relays and what do they do n how do
              they work as its one thing that i just dont get

Comment

Originally posted by SurfingNow View Post
                A relay is a switch that is turned on or off by electricity - a small electro-magnet moves a contact inside. This is useful because the magnet uses a very small amount of electricity (usually less than 1 amp) to move the big clunky contact that can handle a BIG current (usually 30-40 amps) which is more than any reasonably sized switch.

This means you can use a small and cheap switch on your dashboard, with skinny wires as all it has to do is supply 1 amp to the relay coil. Then you just need a big fat wire from the battery to the relay, and from the relay to the load (your fog lights or whatever). Because you don't need to touch the relay, it can be somewhere convenient, which means you can run the fat wires more directly - saving space, and saving wire. (copied from another forum)
                Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Puppywalker View Post
                  less than £2 from maplin
                  never thought of there - i tend to buy a few at a time online, or nick em off my mate who's an autosparks
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Originally posted by SurfingNow View Post
                    Originally posted by Taliesins View Post
                    A relay is a switch that is turned on or off by electricity...

...ving space, and saving wire. (copied from another forum)
                    What he said
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Working...
                    X