Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new one hits the road Friday.

Hi All,

Gave up on the search for a black one and went for one from a garage that has had the head done. Not making the same mistake as last time though and so left a deposit. Picking it up this friday as it's the earliest i can get there. Few sleepless nights coming up i think.

Would seem like i had a close escape from the last garage that stitched me up, have heard that he has changed his name 12 times in the last 3 years after selling people dodgy surfs with head problems and then refusing to have anything to do with them after.

Anyway, now the proud owner of a burgundy 2.4 auto with 40,000m on the clock.

Am looking to change a few things though once the cash flow is looking a bit better and was hoping you lot would be able to advise ( you've done a great job so far, maybe in a few years i'll be the one dishing out the advice ?)

1. The spare wheel is mounted underneath, while this is probably the most practical way of carrying it but i do prefer the look of the surf with it on the back, is there an easy ( and cheap ) way of doing it or is it best left alone ?

2. There's no rear spoiler and i really do think that it makes a world of difference to the look of the surf with it on. Is there a place where i can get one that's already colour coded and if so are they easy to fit ?

That's it for now, will be joining in loads on the forum from now on as i feel like one of the gang.

Cheers,

Jim.

PS. Hope you don't mind but would like to say a big thanks to Dave at Phoenix Cars in West Moors Nr Ferndown Poole for his honesty. He had a few Surfs out the back that he could have easily have sold to me but he wouldn't due to concerns over " the head problem ".

worth waiting

Hello, just picked my first surf up yesterday, in fact it is my first 4x4,
    I know how you feel but it will be worth the wait, Good luck with your surf,
    Sorry I can not answer any of your qeuistions I dont know much myself yet,
    but I am learning loads from this great site,
    Cheers Kevin.
    95, SSRX, TD, AUTO,

Comment

1. The spare wheel is mounted underneath, while this is probably the most practical way of carrying it but i do prefer the look of the surf with it on the back, is there an easy ( and cheap ) way of doing it or is it best left alone ?
      Nah, best left alone... rusty did it on his 4Runner, but i think there's quite a lot to it... i just stick mine in the boot.
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

In my opinion the spare is better under there, it protects the rear bumper when offroading, plus its a pain having to swing it open in car parks when someone parks behind you.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

A rear mounted spare only adds to the rear overhang problems. It won't help the already bad departure angle of a Surf....
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
            Nah, best left alone... rusty did it on his 4Runner, but i think there's quite a lot to it... i just stick mine in the boot.
            Leave it alone - I only changed mine to allow me to put 2 x 50 ltr LPG tanks where the spare use to be underneath. I took me nearly 12 months to find a rear swing aside carrier because they are like hen's teeth!!
            NO WORRIES!
            Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
              Leave it alone - I only changed mine to allow me to put 2 x 50 ltr LPG tanks where the spare use to be underneath. I took me nearly 12 months to find a rear swing aside carrier because they are like hen's teeth!!
              I've just taken off the rear carrier on mine ready to put it underneath, got fed up with always having to swing it out of the way.

Cheers

Comment

Rear Roof Spoiler

Hi,
                Roughtrax in Bristol do a good Rear Roof Spoiler with a built in Rear Brake Light. it is supplied in gray primer and then you can have it Colour Coded. I think it was about £100 + V.A.T. and having it colour coded was about another £100 + not cheap but I am pleased with it. Fitting is very easy aline it up mark holes use a good quality drill bit and wire up to rear brake light circuit job done !!!

Andy.
                Attached Files
                I'd Rather Have A 4" Lift Than A 4" Extension !!!

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
                  I've just taken off the rear carrier on mine ready to put it underneath, got fed up with always having to swing it out of the way.

Cheers
                  heeeeeeyyyy wait a minute....................are you thinking what i'm thinking

anyways. i like the rear mounted spare 'look' too, failing that, the unwheeled 4runner rear end looks loads better than the unwheeled surf.
                  [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                    A rear mounted spare only adds to the rear overhang problems. It won't help the already bad departure angle of a Surf....
                    Hey that's me!
                    I don't think I hit the ground with the spare that time but I have done twice before.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. Will leave the wheel alone and start saving for the spoiler. Cheers guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                        Hey that's me!
                        I don't think I hit the ground with the spare that time but I have done twice before.
                        Yes it's you- no you didn't ground out on the tyre that time!

Nevillef

Comment

Working...
                        X