Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Predictable Bob;458688]

Being a bit picky ......

In the good old days the MK was HGV3 as it only had two axles, HGV2 had 3 or more.

When I learnt to drive I did a couple of hours in a TK, then a couple of days in an MK finishing off with a couple of weeks in an AEC 10T - a great idea pushbike to HGV2 !

When they changed the licensing system I ended up with "C + E (Drawbar trailers only)"

I let it lapse a few years ago cos I really couldn't see me using it

I also learnt to drive in a Tk 7.5t if you could handle a Tk gear box you could handle anything Then progressed to 17t leyland boxer (or was that a step back)
    www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

I know what you mean - I found the TK much harder to drive than the MK and as for the AEC ......

5 speed crash gearbox and no power steering - by the time I took my test I had muscles like Garth !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

LGV or HGV take your pick

It is possible to drive a large truck ie tractor unit and trailer with a gross weight of 38+ Tonnes if you have done the following.
        Have the vehicle taxed as private, the driver is over 21 years of age, the rig has a current plating certificate and you only carry your OWN goods and NEVER have anyones equiptment or belongings on board and NEVER carry anyones goods for reward and that includes getting some fuel.
        I have my HGV class 1 and my PSV or PCV (bus licence).
        I used to have an ERF tractor unit with a beaver tail low loader for carrying my steam engine to rallies and it was cheaper to tax it private as opposed to goods, as it was about £1200 cheaper.
        You do not even need to keep to the LGV driving hours although this is silly as most of the laws relating to vehicles is concerned.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by muller1 View Post
          It is possible to drive a large truck ie tractor unit and trailer with a gross weight of 38+ Tonnes if you have done the following.
          Have the vehicle taxed as private, the driver is over 21 years of age, the rig has a current plating certificate and you only carry your OWN goods and NEVER have anyones equiptment or belongings on board and NEVER carry anyones goods for reward and that includes getting some fuel.
          I have my HGV class 1 and my PSV or PCV (bus licence).
          I used to have an ERF tractor unit with a beaver tail low loader for carrying my steam engine to rallies and it was cheaper to tax it private as opposed to goods, as it was about £1200 cheaper.
          You do not even need to keep to the LGV driving hours although this is silly as most of the laws relating to vehicles is concerned.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Unless your truck was registered before 1960 then I think you will find you are breaking the law. The only exemption for truck and trailer (using a car licence) is highlighted below. You say you used the trailer to tow a steam engine, but the rules clearly state that this is not allowed. As you are towing a "laden" trailer you will find that you will require a class one licence, even though the unit can be taxed as a private HGV. The 1960 rule does not apply if you are using the vehicle to tow goods, whether yours or not. You would still need a class one licence.

This is the full comprehensive exemption list;

Exempted large goods vehicles

Holders of a full category B (car) driving licence may drive any of the large vehicles listed below:

Goods vehicle propelled by steam eg large vehicles with coal or wood burning engines

Road construction vehicles used or kept on the road solely for the conveyance of built-in road construction machinery, (with/without articles or materials used for the purpose of that machinery)

Engineering plant (vehicles designed/constructed for the purpose of engineering operations)

Works trucks (primarily designed for use in private premises or in the immediate vicinity eg dumper trucks/forklift trucks)

Industrial tractors (tractors used mainly for haulage work off the public road, the vehicle must not have an unladen weight exceeding 7370kgs and have a design speed not exceeding 20mph)

Agricultural motor vehicles which are not agricultural or forestry tractors (primarily used off the public road eg crop sprayer/combine harvester)

Digging machines (vehicles which are limited to travel on public roads only for the purpose of proceeding to/from sites - used for trench digging or any kind of excavating or shovelling work eg vehicles with digging buckets/shovels)

Goods vehicle which is not used on public roads or, if it is so used during any calendar week: a.) is used only in passing from land in the occupation of a person keeping the vehicle to other land in the occupation of that person b.)is not used on public roads for distances exceeding an aggregate of kilometres in that calendar week

Goods vehicle, other than an agricultural motor vehicle, which is used only for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry: a.)is used on roads only in passing between different areas of land occupied by the same person b.)in passing between any two such areas does not travel a distance exceeding 1.5 kilometres on roads

Goods vehicles used for no purpose other than the haulage of lifeboats and the conveyance of the necessary gear of the lifeboats which are being hauled

Goods vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer

Articulated goods vehicles not exceeding 3.05 tonnes unladen weight
          Goods vehicle in the service of a visiting force or headquarters as defined in the visiting forces and international headquarters (application of law order 1965 (a))

Goods vehicle driven by a constable for the purpose of removing or avoiding obstruction to other road users or other members of the public, for the purpose of protecting life or property (including the vehicle and its load) or for other similar purposes

Goods vehicle fitted with apparatus designed for raising a disabled vehicle partly from the ground and for drawing a disabled vehicle when so raised (whether by partial superimposition or otherwise) being a vehicle which a.) is used solely for dealing with disabled vehicles b.) is not used for the conveyance of any goods or load other than a disabled vehicle when so raised and water, fuel, accumulators and articles required for the operation of, or in connection with, such apparatus or otherwise for dealing with disabled vehicles c.) has an unladen weight not exceeding 3.05 tonnes

Mobile project vehicles - having a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes and constructed/adapted to carry not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and carries principally goods or burden consisting of a.) play/educational equipment and articles required in connection with the use of such equipment b.) articles required for the purposes of display or of an exhibition, and the primary purpose of which is used as a recreational, educational or instructional facility when stationary

Drivers must be aged 21 and have held a category B licence for at least 2 years. A mobile project vehicle may only be driven on behalf of a non-commercial body. However, drivers who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 are not subject to these conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2 View Post
            Unless your truck was registered before 1960 then I think you will find you are breaking the law. The only exemption for truck and trailer (using a car licence) is highlighted below. You say you used the trailer to tow a steam engine, but the rules clearly state that this is not allowed. As you are towing a "laden" trailer you will find that you will require a class one licence, even though the unit can be taxed as a private HGV. The 1960 rule does not apply if you are using the vehicle to tow goods, whether yours or not. You would still need a class one licence.

This is the full comprehensive exemption list;

Exempted large goods vehicles

Holders of a full category B (car) driving licence may drive any of the large vehicles listed below:

Goods vehicle propelled by steam eg large vehicles with coal or wood burning engines

Road construction vehicles used or kept on the road solely for the conveyance of built-in road construction machinery, (with/without articles or materials used for the purpose of that machinery)

Engineering plant (vehicles designed/constructed for the purpose of engineering operations)

Works trucks (primarily designed for use in private premises or in the immediate vicinity eg dumper trucks/forklift trucks)

Industrial tractors (tractors used mainly for haulage work off the public road, the vehicle must not have an unladen weight exceeding 7370kgs and have a design speed not exceeding 20mph)

Agricultural motor vehicles which are not agricultural or forestry tractors (primarily used off the public road eg crop sprayer/combine harvester)

Digging machines (vehicles which are limited to travel on public roads only for the purpose of proceeding to/from sites - used for trench digging or any kind of excavating or shovelling work eg vehicles with digging buckets/shovels)

Goods vehicle which is not used on public roads or, if it is so used during any calendar week: a.) is used only in passing from land in the occupation of a person keeping the vehicle to other land in the occupation of that person b.)is not used on public roads for distances exceeding an aggregate of kilometres in that calendar week

Goods vehicle, other than an agricultural motor vehicle, which is used only for purposes relating to agriculture, horticulture or forestry: a.)is used on roads only in passing between different areas of land occupied by the same person b.)in passing between any two such areas does not travel a distance exceeding 1.5 kilometres on roads

Goods vehicles used for no purpose other than the haulage of lifeboats and the conveyance of the necessary gear of the lifeboats which are being hauled

Goods vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960, used unladen and not drawing a laden trailer

Articulated goods vehicles not exceeding 3.05 tonnes unladen weight
            Goods vehicle in the service of a visiting force or headquarters as defined in the visiting forces and international headquarters (application of law order 1965 (a))

Goods vehicle driven by a constable for the purpose of removing or avoiding obstruction to other road users or other members of the public, for the purpose of protecting life or property (including the vehicle and its load) or for other similar purposes

Goods vehicle fitted with apparatus designed for raising a disabled vehicle partly from the ground and for drawing a disabled vehicle when so raised (whether by partial superimposition or otherwise) being a vehicle which a.) is used solely for dealing with disabled vehicles b.) is not used for the conveyance of any goods or load other than a disabled vehicle when so raised and water, fuel, accumulators and articles required for the operation of, or in connection with, such apparatus or otherwise for dealing with disabled vehicles c.) has an unladen weight not exceeding 3.05 tonnes

Mobile project vehicles - having a maximum authorised mass exceeding 3.5 tonnes and constructed/adapted to carry not more than 8 persons in addition to the driver and carries principally goods or burden consisting of a.) play/educational equipment and articles required in connection with the use of such equipment b.) articles required for the purposes of display or of an exhibition, and the primary purpose of which is used as a recreational, educational or instructional facility when stationary

Drivers must be aged 21 and have held a category B licence for at least 2 years. A mobile project vehicle may only be driven on behalf of a non-commercial body. However, drivers who passed their car test before 1 January 1997 are not subject to these conditions.
            You forgot Pikies

Has anyone read this thread from the begining as there is a lot of repertition
            www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
              You forgot Pikies

Has anyone read this thread from the begining as there is a lot of repertition

It just proves what an arse of a law we have in this country they should be scrapped and simplified.
              www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

Comment

Working...
              X