No announcement yet.

Intercooler..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mud nominated as IOTW for TWO goofs about intercoolers Trev?!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Mud nominated as IOTW for TWO goofs about intercoolers Trev?!
      Whatever......

Maybe at the tech weekend, someone can show me what all the things do under the bonnet.....and I'll take some notes...and pictures and otherwise not say anything, to anyone, ever again....and I've only just changed my sodding avatar.......
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
        Dumb questions are our speciality. Closely followed by dumb answers.

It doesn't have a great deal of effect. There is one school of thought that says that as you need less throttle to get the same speed it is more fuel efficient. There is another (my) school of though that says that because you can go faster you keep pressing the accelerator for fun and use more fuel.
        Thx! That's great!
        "Good at cracking bones"

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
          Whatever......

Maybe at the tech weekend, someone can show me what all the things do under the bonnet.....and I'll take some notes...and pictures and otherwise not say anything, to anyone, ever again....and I've only just changed my sodding avatar.......
          Dont worry about it mate!

Could be worse, you could've been the one to suggest not putting a spare on the roof! Then you'd really get the pi$$ taken out of you

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
            Dont worry about it mate!

Could be worse, you could've been the one to suggest not putting a spare on the roof! Then you'd really get the pi$$ taken out of you

Yeah... sorry about that Rod!

Comment

An intercooler makes the air colder and denser so more of it can fit in the same size engine and make a bigger bang - hence more power.
              With a non-intercooled truck, you only get "BAN!" because there isn't enough space for the 'G'. However, the intercooler compresses all the letters together so you can fit in the 'G' as well, getting a full "BANG!"

This is where the phrase 'more bang for you buck comes from', and explains why older cars, or those with smaller engines struggle even with "BAN!" and only produce a "BA!"

I've heard of some cars (particularly those from British Leyland) only being able to go "B!" which explains their poor performance.

Comment

I have a distant relative of a BL car. It goes brrrrrrm. I know I should be surprised that it starts and the doors are all attached, but should I be worried about the letters after the 'B'?

Comment

I have a distant relative of a BL car. It goes brrrrrrm. I know I should be surprised that it starts and the doors are all attached, but should I be worried about the letters after the 'B'?
                  It sounds like the "B!" is coming loose and resonating in the exhaust manifold. I'd take it to the main dealer - oh, there are none are there

If that "B!" falls out and gets into the turbo, it could ruin it!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    It sounds like the "B!" is coming loose and resonating in the exhaust manifold. I'd take it to the main dealer - oh, there are none are there

If that "B!" falls out and gets into the turbo, it could ruin it!
                    I feel so stupid. I knew I should have got a Mondeo or one of those Kias. They look like excellent value for money.

Comment

I feel so stupid. I knew I should have got a Mondeo or one of those Kias. They look like excellent value for money.
                      Kia's only manage a lower case "b", it doesn't even have an exclamation mark!

You can upgrade yours though, with a reprogrammed ECU, but be careful you get the coding right or you'll end up with a "BNAG!" , or worse, a "G!NBA" which can blow the baffles out of your exhaust.

Comment

This is great stuff Andy (are you bored by any chance?). No-one on the MG forum knows any of this.

Comment

Just finished running a long test - too late to start another so i'm freewheeling to 5pm

Comment

Working...
                          X