Fog lights question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog lights question

Have had truck 2wks now, and finally got around to trying to work out what all the switches do. So, the only fog light switch i can find is next to the idle up switch on the right side of the steering column. When I switch this on it switches on the front spots that are on the chrome A frame thing on the front. I cant see anything on the back lighting up and there is no light on the dash or even an LED on the switch to say they're on.

I understand that a rear fog light is compulsory for the car to pass an MOT, as well as some kind of illumination on the dash. I bought this car from a dealer as a fresh import, so I believe it should have been up to him to fit a rear fog for it to pass the MOT. I have a 3mth warranty on it so will go back to him and request one is fitted if there really isn't one, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't being blonde and missing one before going off on a rant at the dealer and his dodgy MOT certs!

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
    Have had truck 2wks now, and finally got around to trying to work out what all the switches do. So, the only fog light switch i can find is next to the idle up switch on the right side of the steering column. When I switch this on it switches on the front spots that are on the chrome A frame thing on the front. I cant see anything on the back lighting up and there is no light on the dash or even an LED on the switch to say they're on.

I understand that a rear fog light is compulsory for the car to pass an MOT, as well as some kind of illumination on the dash. I bought this car from a dealer as a fresh import, so I believe it should have been up to him to fit a rear fog for it to pass the MOT. I have a 3mth warranty on it so will go back to him and request one is fitted if there really isn't one, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't being blonde and missing one before going off on a rant at the dealer and his dodgy MOT certs!
    Pardon me for asking the silly question,

but..............

Are you testing the rear fog lamp with your main lights on or off ?

The rear fog light should not work without the main lights being on.
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

i switched the main headlights on first and then pressed the only fog light button i can find, but all it seems to do is light up the front spots. i cannot see a rear fog light anywhere.

Comment

Do you have a picture of the rear of the truck? The foglight is normally attached on the drivers side below the bumper.
        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Well the usual hiding places are either in the central console (that's were my front fogs switch was) and by the idle up.

As you say the MOT requires a rear fog light and an illuminated switch.

I think it may well pay to go and pester your dealer, after all they should have shown you where all the switches etc are.

Trev

Comment

this is the back of the car. there is an extra light just in front of the rear driver's side wheel - is that meant to be the fog light? it comes on when i turn the sidelights or the main headlights on.= so is basically on all the time i've got lights on - it is quite bright so might be meant to be the fog light? if it is the fog, then does the wiring need to be sorted so it only comes on when i flick a switch to pass the MOT?
            Attached Files

Comment

Nikki it may come on because you have inadvertently turned the switch on on the dash somwhere, see if any switches are lit up when you turn your lights on. It should not be on all the time and it looks set back too far from the rear of the truck. I would take it back and ask just to be on the safe side. Saves you getting stopped by the law for having it illuminated without it being foggy.
              'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

That's your rear fog lamp

But it should be controlled by an illuminated switch, it should NOT be on all the time when the lights are on - plod may be picky and pull you.

Trev

Comment

mystery solved - thanks guys. that is the fog and i found the switch - random orange switch below the steering wheel. so, only thing i haven't got is an illumination on the dash when it's on, hence me not knowing what the orange switch did! possibly orange switch illuminates slightly when on - difficult to tell in daylight. is some fussy MOT tester likely to fail me for this and are there any guidelines as to how far forwards it's acceptable to fit the fog light?

thanks for your help!

PS - while i'm asking daft questions, what does the idle up do?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                    mystery solved - thanks guys. that is the fog and i found the switch - random orange switch below the steering wheel. so, only thing i haven't got is an illumination on the dash when it's on, hence me not knowing what the orange switch did! possibly orange switch illuminates slightly when on - difficult to tell in daylight. is some fussy MOT tester likely to fail me for this and are there any guidelines as to how far forwards it's acceptable to fit the fog light?

thanks for your help!

PS - while i'm asking daft questions, what does the idle up do?
                    I think you will find that if the switch lights up when used Mr MOT Tester will be happy.

The idle up increases the revs when in Park or Neutral, great on a cold winter's morning for getting the old girl warming up while you scrape the frost off.

Of course if you fit a winch you can use it to increase the umph to the battery/batteries when being hammered by the winch motor.

Trev

Comment

thanks v much Minor panic over.

Comment

fog light

You can take the live wire from the fog light and cut it into the drivers side reversing light change the bulb to a red one and hey presto no more fog light hanging under bumper bro in law did this to his last year and passed mot so ive just done it to mine looks loads better

Comment

Let me get this straight... You're required to have a fog light pointing aft to pass a MOT?? That seems kinda strange to me. Aren't fog lights supposed to help you see forward? Unless they only come on when you're reversing... otherwise, wouldn't that be kind of annoying for vehicles following you... having this bright light starring them right in the face?
                          Looking for a 1993 Surf 3.0TD in MB, Canada. HELP!

Comment

Originally posted by joedude View Post
                            Let me get this straight... You're required to have a fog light pointing aft to pass a MOT?? That seems kinda strange to me. Aren't fog lights supposed to help you see forward? Unless they only come on when you're reversing... otherwise, wouldn't that be kind of annoying for vehicles following you... having this bright light starring them right in the face?
                            The fog lights in question are to show traffic behind where you are, they are the same strength roughly as a brake light.

The rear fog is mandatory, the front ones are optional.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by joedude View Post
                              In the UK you're required to have a red fog light on the rear of your car, either on the right hand side or centre line of the car. Front fog lights are optional here, hope that's cleared that up.

By the way was reading the switch has to be luminated for rear fogs? Mines been through 2 MOTs with no light on the switch to let me know the rear fog is on.
                              Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Working...
                              X