yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know about PC media players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know about PC media players?

I have been using iTunes and Windows Media Player for ages, but on my new(ish) PC I've just installed a new sound card - now for some reason, some tracks play fine others just skip - does anyone know what is causing this?

I've moved the files to other disks too to see if it's a hardware fault on the IO for the disk, but that's been ruled out....just seems odd that some tracks play fine, others won't play - they are slow and fragmented...

TIA
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
    I have been using iTunes and Windows Media Player for ages, but on my new(ish) PC I've just installed a new sound card - now for some reason, some tracks play fine others just skip - does anyone know what is causing this?

I've moved the files to other disks too to see if it's a hardware fault on the IO for the disk, but that's been ruled out....just seems odd that some tracks play fine, others won't play - they are slow and fragmented...

TIA
    Could there be corruption of the music file ?

You could try Monkey Audio or winamp

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Dont know much about computers but I know a bit about audio.

As the soundcard does the D-A conversion, it might be an incompatibility with a data rate or the type of encoding that some of the music has been encoded at.

See if there's any common factor amongst the ones that dont play properly.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

you may need to update the codecs to be able to play all music files
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Dont know much about computers but I know a bit about audio.

As the soundcard does the D-A conversion, it might be an incompatibility with a data rate or the type of encoding that some of the music has been encoded at.

See if there's any common factor amongst the ones that dont play properly.
          I've gone from Intel on board sound to M-Audio RCA output so I'll check the files for commonality....cheers!

Comment

You might find the needle is damaged, or you have scratched some moving them.
            Brian

Comment

my all time favourite music player has to be sonique, it's old and discontinued, the random play feature is a bit dodgy, the visuals are at crap resolutions, but it does them full screen and does them well, it's not too power hungry, it will also sound sync visuals to audio from an external source in realtime and it's ... well i just like it, i don't think it's gonna solve your problem though
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Found it!

For some reason, my PC doesn't like MPEG encoded tracks. If I look at the encoding of the tracks that work, they are AAC or Protected AAC.

Anything that is MPEG encoded stutters when played - and to test this, I converted two of the known non working tracks to AAC, played them and they were perfect....

I've also changed the settings on the sound card, increased the buffer from 256k to 1024k (not at the same time, so I know what the issue is) but still have the same problem with MPEG encoded tracks played either from iTunes or Windows Media - so I think a trawl through the manufacturer's website is in order.....

Cheers Apache for pointing me in the right direction!

Comment

Working...
                X