Portable air compressor compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable air compressor compatibility

Hi - does anyone know if the air compressors you can get that run off 12v (like the T-Max ones) are compatible with air tools you can buy for bigger compressors???

TIA
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

think they r compatible, but don't think there is enough psi to give them the power you need.

what tools were you thinking of?

Comment

If you look at the info on the tool, it will give a required air supply in cfm (cubic feet per minute). The compressor has to supply this or greater to run the tool. The little compressors you buy in DIY the sheds tend to have a low cfm rating - too low for a lot of tools, although OK for inflating air beds, tyres or paddling pools, and usually OK for running a small spray gun.

(No doubt someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to correct the more glaring errors in the above...)
      Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Impact stuff, and others...nothing too heavy

The onboard 12v ones can put out about 72 psi....
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

i think most air tools need about 100 psi to run with an average strength

Comment

I think you will probably need a Viair, ARB or TJM for your requirements.

http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/compressors.html

http://www.arb.com.au/arb-air-compressors.php

http://www.tjm.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=63

T-Max are made in China & they are not the best of quality...IMO
            Last edited by lclascaris; 27 May 2008, 17:16.

Comment

an impact gun will want around 6 cfm @ about 100 - 110 psi to be of any use at all. To get a 12v compressor that's upto the job, you'll be spending big bucks, belt driven is the way to go, and the easiest way to do that seems to be to convert the existing air-con compressor. I changed my mind about on board air for the time being and bought a cordless impact gun, but will look into it again in the future.

The only other thing i have seen on some of the landy sites is using the suspension compressor from a P38 range rover, but again never really found a write up saying it had definately worked and coped with runnning tools and so on. What was the compressor stein got popeye? what were the specs on that?
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

All i know is it was from an ambulance air sus system, and is 99.9% duty cycle, other than that i've no info on the output of it, although with it running and my finger over the end i doubt it'll be of any use for air tools,
                as said i think you'll need a belt driven comp giveing a fair CFM and a decent size tank,
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  although with it running and my finger over the end i doubt it'll be of any use for air tools,
                  It may still have enough pressure to kill you though. NEVER put compressed air against any part of your body.

REMEMBER - COMPRESSED AIR IS A KILLER - USE IT SENSIBLY

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, London, reports a serious case when employees in a carpenters' shop were using a compressed air hose to remove sawdust from their clothing. One man was seen to push the hose between the legs of a fellow-worker from behind and the man sustained the following injuries:

* Bruising and bleeding in the area of the rectum;
                  * Shock;
                  * Air through tissues over abdomen, chest and neck;
                  * Hernia canals in the groin ballooned with air;
                  * Abdomen filled with air;
                  * Lower bowel torn open in three places, the longest tear being four inches;
                  * Abdominal cavity filled with bowel material from lower bowel, also contained much fluid and blood; and
                  * Lining of abdominal cavity torn in several places.

The man was operated upon and blood transfusions given, but he died three days after being injured.

Subsequent investigations revealed that the maximum pressure at the nozzle with the valve turned fully open was about 351 lbs, but the actual pressure at the time of the accident was much less - probably only a third.
                  Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                    It may still have enough pressure to kill you though. NEVER put compressed air against any part of your body.

Nev
                    Hi Nev, yes mate i know about the foolishness of messing with compressed air however this was more like a maidens kiss than a blast, but i take your point, haveing once caught my hand in the blast from a "shott blaster" i was useing at work,

Comment

can't remember but...

Vaiar do a double pumper air compressor, that they say is capable of running air tools...

Also, seem to remember Trail-gear.com or allprooffroad.com do a replacement air-con compressor that will run airtools if you have removed your aircon...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala View Post
                        can't remember but...

Vaiar do a double pumper air compressor, that they say is capable of running air tools...

Also, seem to remember Trail-gear.com or allprooffroad.com do a replacement air-con compressor that will run airtools if you have removed your aircon...
                        Andy! do you still have the air-bags fitted? i was wondering if you have any pic's of the installation and compressor etc, when i can afford it i'd like to buy some if i can run em with the air system i've got, be nice to see how their piped etc,

Comment

Working...
                        X