Roof rack thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof rack thoughts

I've been keeping up with the various conversations about roofracks, and looked at what Enzo had said about his, that there are no points in the roof of the Surf that you could really mount the rack onto without denting it etc....so - I have a plan....

Remove the headlining and attach a brace made from mild(ish) steel under the roof - I'll have to have a look at what obstacles there may be, but what I'd like to do is have a brace that goes the full width, and acts as a device to spread the load. This will have a mounting point on each side, that the rails will be attached to above. On the roof, I'd like the idea of some rails, but would need them to be a set distance apart, so may just go for feet so the rack can be easier to build then mount...

With this setup, the rack can start behind the sunroof, and go all the way to the back of the truck, and I can carry the Hi-Lift, waffle boards and spare on the roof, and have the spare wheel carrier converted to carry two jerry cans....nice!
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

My plan is to work out where I want the mounting points (close to the edge of the roof, there's strength there), take the headlining out and weld in strengthening at those points. Probably plating will do.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

When you take the lining out, can you let me know if you can get a plate all the way across??? Or, put plates on either side, but connect them to spread the load??

Comment

Ahhhh Roof rack runners from the factory... Another Perk of running a 3rd Gen

But I'll want lights so I'll probably need to make holes anyway
        More Lift.
        More Tyres.
        More Engine.

Comment

Wouldn't have thought there's any need. The edge of the roof is something like 3 or 4 layers thick where the roof and the body 'frame' (for want of a better word) all meet up.

There is PLENTY of meat there, and when the rack is fitted, the rack crossmembers themselves become the bracing between the two points. I really dont think there is any need to overengineer it, it just needs a little elegant forethought.

My plan is coming together, but its all inside my head at the mo. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Just remember don't go putting a spare wheel up there unless you have a full set of ARBs
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              Just remember don't go putting a spare wheel up there unless you have a full set of ARBs
              No ARBs front or rear, intention of having somewhere in the region of 200kgs on the roof, with a 5" lift too - God, I'm going to tip over and die!!!

Andy - get the stuff outta your head and on paper man - i want to see it....

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                and have the spare wheel carrier converted to carry two jerry cans....nice!
                I used to have a pair of Jerry cans (filled with petrol) on the back of my old Series Land Rover….. but I have a suspicion that fitting fuel cans on the back of a vehicle may be illegal????
                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                  I used to have a pair of Jerry cans (filled with petrol) on the back of my old Series Land Rover….. but I have a suspicion that fitting fuel cans on the back of a vehicle may be illegal????

Good advice - I'll look it up...

Comment

Can I just add, when I fitted my roof rails all those years ago, I fitted them as close to the edge of the roof as possible, mainly 'cos of the sunroof, but also that is where the strength is. Where the roof meets the sidewalls, it is very solid, as Apache said about three layers of steel.

I made up a couple of cross bars using the sides of an aluminium ladder, held onto the rails with nothing more than exhaust clamps and so far nothing has broken, bent, split, dented or fallen off and I've had really heavy stuff strapped to them such as eight 6'X6' fence panels stacked one on top of the other, another time approx 40 lengths of decking planks and 20 lengths 4"X4" timber.

So I would recommend roof rails with crossbars to spread the weight, plus the crossbars can be removed for when you don't want everything on display when parked up.

Comment

Have a look on Tonys website, as I took photos of my truck when we did mine. I'm pretty certain that there is one showing the structure of the roof.
                      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                        spare on the roof, and have the spare wheel carrier converted to carry two jerry cans....nice!

Ok, Ignoring my mistake about the spare on the roof thing! (its on Yotatech! honest people!!!)

Isn't just easier to use the spare wheel carrier for what it was intended for?! Keep the spare there an put the jerry cans on the roof!?

Plus then they might be out of some peoples sight. With diesel peaking as it is someone will just hack the cr*p out of your truck to get at it!!

Comment

...but then when they fall over they'll land on their jerry cans
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                            Ok, Ignoring my mistake about the spare on the roof thing! (its on Yotatech! honest people!!!)

Isn't just easier to use the spare wheel carrier for what it was intended for?! Keep the spare there an put the jerry cans on the roof!?

Plus then they might be out of some peoples sight. With diesel peaking as it is someone will just hack the cr*p out of your truck to get at it!!

It's a fair point - I'll have to check the difference in weight between a jerry can and a 33" tyre on steel....and work out what is best to go where, but I woundn't have the cans on the back all the time, just when offroad...

Comment

Mud, you aint telling us something. Why are you rushing to be able to carry loads of fuel and 200 kilos on the roof?!?!

Comment

Working...
                              X