I have never had a Surf/4runner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have never had a Surf/4runner!

So now Im thinking about buying one, and maybe from uk. So What should I look at when I found the object, Chassis, drivetrain, frame etc. And what is to prefer diesel or petrol. 2.4 3,0 or v6. Aut or manuel transmission.
    And Whats the consumtion for each engine in litres per 100 kilometers.
    Her in Sweden is the price for one liter
    Petrol 1 P
    Disel ca 1.15 p plus an rather high road tax for disel engines.
    Im probely looking for one with the Recaro interior, so witch years should I look for, and was it ever fitted in the 3 doors body?
    Thanks!
    Jesper/ Sweden
    SAAB 99Turbo cc -78
    Alfa romeo 164 3.0 -90

welcome dude
    only thing i can say is never buy a surf off me
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Hello and welcome - I'd like to say something in Swedish to welcome you, but don't know any so we'll have to make do with English for now...

So many questions - the first one are easy - what would you look for in any other car you'd buy? Check oil, water, check for signs of wear in common places, and check the ATF is red(ish) not black!

Have a look for rust on the chassis, although I haven't found any on our three yet...

Diesel or petrol - your decision really again - what do you prefer, what would be more cost effective??

Recaros - look out for the SSR-G spec as SOME of these will have Recaros - not all, the specs don't really mean a lot as there were a lot of options at the factory and the original owners may have changed them a lot from list....

Not seen a 3 door with the Recaros in - but hunt around you may find one - I have a 2.4D 3 door up for sale soon, but sadly no Recaro interior....
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

It seems as the Surfs are in a better shape in uk then in sweden, here they get rusty in the frame and wheelarsches. And the most of them have about 17000 miles on the odo, I think thats about 25 000km:s.
        I have no cloue about the consumtion, but if it´s the same between the diesel and the petrol, then there is no advantage in driving diesel in Sweden. And the v6 sounds quite good to I think, I proberly prefer manual stick, but I heard that the manual could be rather poor to use?
        And we dont have the 3 doors model, but as long as it´s have cupholders and recaros am I satisfieyed

My Toyota is fantastic!
        Min Toyota är fantastisk!
        SAAB 99Turbo cc -78
        Alfa romeo 164 3.0 -90

Comment

hello and welcome!
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Valkommen (sorry, no accents on my keyboard).

You will probably get about 20-30% better fuel consumption on a diesel than a petrol but petrol is a bit cheaper and you get the option to convert to autogas. Petrol surfs are generally much cheaper to buy too, so can work out better if you don't do very high mileage. Have a look in the for sale section.

Some surfs, both petrol and diesel, are available with heated fuel filters if you live in a very cold region, although these are very rare.

The manual and auto are both good. The auto will be better on snow though, if that's what you want. The manuals can have issues with the flywheel breaking up so either find one that's been fixed or budget for a new one.

The reason that you see a lot of rusty ones is that they don't salt roads in Japan so the surfs aren't undersealed. Undersealing, especially if you do drive on snow, would be a good idea.
            Last edited by Sancho; 22 May 2008, 10:12.

Comment

Is there some one on the forum that knows about exporting cars from the uk, is that a big project?
              SAAB 99Turbo cc -78
              Alfa romeo 164 3.0 -90

Comment

Originally posted by jhetpost View Post
                Is there some one on the forum that knows about exporting cars from the uk, is that a big project?
                Right, excuse my ignorance but what side of the road do you drive on?!

if your the same side as us then thats half the work done!

Shipping would probably big the biggest concern. Try an find a truck local to some docks and ask the owner to drop it off there. Otherwise you 'need' to get insurance etc.

The V5 which is the documentation of ownership gets filled out with your details under new owner and the current owner fills out the part that says its for export.

Its fairly complicated but one step at time its ok!

I know more about USA to England imports then europe ones

Comment

easiest thing to do seems to be,fly to england buy a surf,drive back to newcastle/hull/wherever, and sail to sweden (malmo i seem to remember)
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                    easiest thing to do seems to be,fly to england buy a surf,drive back to newcastle/hull/wherever, and sail to sweden (malmo i seem to remember)
                    In all honesty, probably cheaper aswell!!!

The only hiccup could be insurance for the drive but im sure there is some form of 'temporary' cover for the drive back.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                      Right, excuse my ignorance but what side of the road do you drive on?!
                      In sweden we have lhd, but in mind that we just have high milage rusty surfs/runners in Sweden I think it maybe can be worth having a nice exampel, even if its an rhd. And then there is more equpments on the uk cars, Ihave never seen one here with the recaro extras!
                      SAAB 99Turbo cc -78
                      Alfa romeo 164 3.0 -90

Comment

Working...
                      X