I.T Gurus help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.T Gurus help please

After years of paying nearly £30 a month for Freeserve / Wanadoo / Orange broadband (and getting less than 2 meg because of the local exchange infrastructure) we decided that the £12 a month deal for 2 meg capped at 5Gb is enough now we're no longer running Vixen Footwear.

However, since the changeover, this site works fine, as fast as it ever was, and a few others are unchanged. However, eBay, Hotmail and even Google are either very slow, or we just get no reply from them at all and it times out.

Whats going on? How come some work fine yet others dont work at all? Is it related to the change of broadband, or is something else going on?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Slow as in loading slow, or slow as in taking several moments/minutes before it attempts to load the site?

Comment

could be a clash of files also as in when you try to delete some programs like broadband it might have a hiden file still on your pc aol have been known for that also. not saying thats what it is but just it could be also deleying certain programmes can make others not work, but then it might be just the service your using now n your not use to it yet?

Comment

I had what sounds like a similar issue a couple of months back major sites like hmv and sites like play etc were erroring out, turned out to be a dns server fault in Oranges network they had two or three go faulty. checked aroung the forums and found the dns at 195.92.195.94 and 195.92.195.96 were stable and when i set my router to use those as my primary and secondary dns servers it worked ok not had a problem since.

Dunno if the problem you are experiencing is the same thing but it does no harm to try it.

good luck.
        Tell me if I'm wrong, it the only way I'll learn

Comment

Clear all your temporary internet files and empty your Temp folder. Also, if you're using a proxy server, stop; if you're not, start!
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Done the temp stuff, cookies etc.

Whats a poxy server and how do I know if I'm using one or not???

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
              Slow as in loading slow, or slow as in taking several moments/minutes before it attempts to load the site?
              Some sites load instantly, others dont load at all. Very little in between.

Comment

In internet explorer Tools> Internet Options> Connections> Lan Options. You'll see the Proxy check box.

Probably best left unchecked. If you want to use your ISP Proxy Server, you'll need to ask them what its address is.

Comment

OK, I found it and tried it and nothing changed.

I hate this sh1t!

Internet should be simple and reliable, not require a 1st in geekology!

Comment

Was it ticked? If it was, you'll at least have to restart IE, at most a re-boot may help. Same goes for deleting Temp files, you ned to re-boot to remove any references to them that may be in memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      OK, I found it and tried it and nothing changed.

I hate this sh1t!

Internet should be simple and reliable, not require a 1st in geekology!
                      Apparently shit os OK...

Comment

Oh yeah.

Hehe, shit-os, is that like MacOs but better?

Comment

Ah bugger... First Matt, now me... You'll be next!

Comment

Have you rebooted the router? Make sure you're pointing your DNS settings at the ISP's servers, and not at the routers proxy server. They're commonly known for being naff.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                              Ah bugger... First Matt, now me... You'll be next!
                              At least you're secure in the fact that I'll vote no for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X