• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
    Matts statue after digging out those old photos for the other thread

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
      i may be wrong but i dont think they are.some ones bound to prove me wrong though.
      L.A. Supertrux sell them, they don't mention the legalities of them though...

http://www.supertrux.com/acatalog/Mickey_Thompson.html

Comment

Ok, im gonna have my ten pence worth, just to be annoying.

If your on some more serious offroad like a pay and play or a course thats been set up where you will rarely see more than snail pace, harder is better. I believe that harder will effectively push the wheels down which will in turn create more traction. Though in reality, probably not noticable.

If you are greenlaning, then i think softer is probably better in most cases, as like Andy says you are doing walking pace up. So you wont need the downwards pressure on the wheels for more traction. But you will need more comfort to avoid vertebrea displacement.

Of course, in most situations, if more traction is needed you can reduce tyre pressure as suggested before. I run es9000's front and rear with the land cruiser springs and have had no worries so far.

Comment

I'm gonna be a bit pedantic here, and suggest that the shock doesn't apply downwards pressure. The truck does.

Try this.

Fit a truck with ES3000s and put scales under a wheel. Then do the same with ES9000s or any other shock for that matter. The reading is the same. Neither shock presses down more than the other - otherwise you're breaking the laws of physics.

What can happen though is some shocks extend faster than others after a hit (rebound rate) which means they respond to high speed transient events (ie hitting a pothole at 60mph etc) better than a shock with a slower rate (a 'softer' shock).

Offroad racers (or maybe if you blast around during pay and play - I dunno) then a 'harder' shock with faster rebound might be better as your wheels will return to the ground quicker after hits. Slower pace, the softer response shock requiring less pressure to move it will be better and less hard on the rest of the machinery / occupants.

I dont have the specs for the procomps, but I expect there's not an enormous amount in it as they are 'budget' middle of the road items. I reckon you'd probably only really start to feel differences when you get into racing shock territory.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            I'm gonna be a bit pedantic here, and suggest that the shock doesn't apply downwards pressure. The truck does.
            You're failing to take wheel movement into that equation however.

Comment

But what if the truck was on a conveyor belt???........
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I dont believe beadlocks are legal. Im not sure why they would be illegal!

But either way they are a total b1tch to find! The MT classic locks in vinces link are a fake bead lock.

You can get an internal type that you could argue no one would ever notice unlike a ring full of bolts!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                  I dont believe beadlocks are legal. Im not sure why they would be illegal!
                  Not sure how valid this is, (the first post):

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=24753

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    You're failing to take wheel movement into that equation however.
                    Even in a dynamic situation, neither presses down *more*. Some just allow the weight of the truck to press the wheel down more quickly.

But hey, I'm having some time off pedantry from now. Whatever you buy, its cool and shiny. Enjoy! Thats what its all about!

Comment

Even in a dynamic situation, neither presses down *more*. Some just allow the weight of the truck to press the wheel down more quickly.
                      Exactly. So in the true sense of the term, it is actually pressing down more.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                        Exactly. So in the true sense of the term, it is actually pressing down more.

No it isn't. In your world it might press down more. In my world it just rebounds quicker. It it pressed down MORE, the scales would show a difference. We know they wont - dont we?

Anyway, Chelsea didn't win the premiership, which pleases me

Comment

No it isn't. In your world it might press down more. In my world it just rebounds quicker. It it pressed down MORE, the scales would show a difference. We know they wont - dont we?
                          Methinks you're confusing force with time. Besides, it would actually press down with more force if the difference is that the shocks are filled with more gas to achieve their effect. The shock has to push somewhere, either up or down. If it can't push up, it will transfer that force downwards.

Comment

Soooo. Shock presses down? How much can it press down? It can press down precisely with the amount of weight its supporting yes? No more, no less (unless physics works different up your way)

Every single shock absorber fitted in the same place (even a block of wood in place of the shock!) will press down with exactly the same amount of force, as its supporting the same weight. All that changes is the rebound time.

I know what your saying. Some shock absorbers are harder to compress than others, this doesn't change the price of fish, they all press down by an amount = to the weight they're supporting.

Anyway, damn you for drawing me in!

Next you'll be telling me that the bobbox means you get 40mpg! Incidentally, all went quiet on that temeprature alarm. What happened there?

Comment

Anyway, damn you for drawing me in!

Incidentally, all went quiet on that temeprature alarm. What happened there?
                              The fault is on my part there. Things keep conspiring against me on fitting that. I am gonna get that fitted within the next couple of days if it kills me though.

Comment

Try this.

Fit a truck with ES3000s and put scales under a wheel. Then do the same with ES9000s or any other shock for that matter. The reading is the same. Neither shock presses down more than the other - otherwise you're breaking the laws of physics.

What can happen though is some shocks extend faster than others after a hit (rebound rate) which means they respond to high speed transient events (ie hitting a pothole at 60mph etc) better than a shock with a slower rate (a 'softer' shock).

Offroad racers (or maybe if you blast around during pay and play - I dunno) then a 'harder' shock with faster rebound might be better as your wheels will return to the ground quicker after hits. Slower pace, the softer response shock requiring less pressure to move it will be better and less hard on the rest of the machinery / occupants.

I dont have the specs for the procomps, but I expect there's not an enormous amount in it as they are 'budget' middle of the road items. I reckon you'd probably only really start to feel differences when you get into racing shock territory.
                                im does that mean gas and oil weigh the same?
                                i tink me heads been pounded by the sun

Comment

Working...
                                X