I Gotta Get A Backbox!!????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Gotta Get A Backbox!!????

HI.im new to the world of surfs.just bought a 92 2.4td with 100k on the clock
    upon inspection i realise i need a backbox section...any ideas where i can get one and how much ???
    also,when i start it up in the mornings it starts lumpy for a few seconds and blows out a sh*t load of black smoke...this clears after a few seconds.when i drive off i get a small burst of blackish smoke when it changes up a gear..this only happens for a few miles though,until warm.

am i starting it correctly..do i need to use the "IDLE UP" button??
    and is this smoke normal for a diesel engine...this is my first diesel

any replys are most welcomed as im a complete noob

jim
    CHILL OUT

Originally posted by Jimmus
    upon inspection i realise i need a backbox section...any ideas where i can get one and how much ???
    jim
    Originally Posted by Jimmus
    well i was just about to ask what that dam creeking noise is......
    now there's no need but im sure i have other questions to ask like
    where can i get a backbox for a 92 2.4 surf????

http://www.milneroffroad.com/LN130.htm

Rear Exhaust Tail Pipe........1990 - 1995........ 005139......£115.00
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

OMG
      that was the fastest reply ever...cheers
      CHILL OUT

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
        Originally Posted by Jimmus
        well i was just about to ask what that dam creeking noise is......
        now there's no need but im sure i have other questions to ask like
        where can i get a backbox for a 92 2.4 surf????

http://www.milneroffroad.com/LN130.htm

Rear Exhaust Tail Pipe........1990 - 1995........ 005139......£115.00
        Is that the price for the back box and resonator box (is there one on a diesel???)
        NO WORRIES!
        Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by rusty
          Is that the price for the back box and resonator box (is there one on a diesel???)
          i think its the complete back section
          [size=5][/size]
          [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Hmmm I was quoted £150 from the CAT back (silencer & resonator) by Kwik (grab the money) Fit. I can get a Stainless system made with a slightly larger silencer, no resonator box and a CAT section (got to make it breath easier) for £220. Blew the silencer seam open the other week and finally fixed it this afternoon with paste, alloy sheet and rivets
            (thinking about selling as a mod to the boy-racer brigade )
            NO WORRIES!
            Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmus
              also,when i start it up in the mornings it starts lumpy for a few seconds and blows out a sh*t load of black smoke...this clears after a few seconds.when i drive off i get a small burst of blackish smoke when it changes up a gear..this only happens for a few miles though,until warm.

am i starting it correctly..do i need to use the "IDLE UP" button??
              and is this smoke normal for a diesel engine...this is my first diesel

any replys are most welcomed as im a complete noob

jim
              Jim.

Smoke is normal for a Diesel when starting and under acceleration however I think there is a couple of things here.

When you first start the car you need to switch the ignition to on, wait about 5 - seconds until you hear a click, then start. If you start straight away before the Glow plugs have a chance to warm up then you will get that lkumpy start and smoke.

You could also probably do a redex injector clean - put a full bottle (biggest you can get) in 1/4 tank of diesel and run it through, you should see a noticeable reduction in the smoke and also the truck should run better for it. Do this every few months just to keep the injectors clean.

Cheers

Comment

Exhausted

Hi

If you're thinking about an exhaust, it might be worth putting a stainless steel one on. I am going to put one on mine on Friday and I'll report back on the cost.

As long as I keep the car for more than 4 years, the investment should pay for itself.

Rob

Comment

Thank you for your enquiry.

A genuine branded Longlife 304 stainless exhaust, custom built, and fitted

on your Toyota Hilux Surf in about 3 hours by appointment at our Carshalton

(near Junction 8 M25) Centre would cost £289.00 fitted from the existing

flex, and we should be able to fit behind rear wheel, and including VAT.

All built with 2mm wall thickness 304 stainless tubing, highly polished

triple insulated free flow silencers for performance, and chosen for how you

would like your Hilux Surf to sound, and all TIG welded.

The benefits of the Longlife system includes increased mid range torque,

improved fuel economy, and of course a lifetime guarantee. Whlist our price

includes a highly polished tail pipe similar in appearance to the genuine

Toyota original we can offer you a comprehensive range of alternatives which

might affect the price.

Please telephone for further information. Our telephone number is 01454

Look forward to your response.

Regards

Brian Smith

Longlife Exhausts

nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                    Thank you for your enquiry.

A genuine branded Longlife 304 stainless exhaust, custom built, and fitted

on your Toyota Hilux Surf in about 3 hours by appointment at our Carshalton

(near Junction 8 M25) Centre would cost £289.00 fitted from the existing

flex, and we should be able to fit behind rear wheel, and including VAT.

All built with 2mm wall thickness 304 stainless tubing, highly polished

triple insulated free flow silencers for performance, and chosen for how you

would like your Hilux Surf to sound, and all TIG welded.

The benefits of the Longlife system includes increased mid range torque,

improved fuel economy, and of course a lifetime guarantee. Whlist our price

includes a highly polished tail pipe similar in appearance to the genuine

Toyota original we can offer you a comprehensive range of alternatives which

might affect the price.

Please telephone for further information. Our telephone number is 01454

Look forward to your response.

Regards

Brian Smith

Longlife Exhausts

cheap!
                    [size=5][/size]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                      cheap!
                      what does "highly polished tail pipe similar in appearance to the genuine

Toyota original" mean... mines a rust brown thing!
                      Attached Files
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                        what does "highly polished tail pipe similar in appearance to the genuine

Toyota original" mean... mines a rust brown thing!
                        like this
                        Attached Files
                        [size=5][/size]

Comment

Exhausted

Hi

Well, I went around 2 places to try and get a stainless steel exhaust and I have been amazed. Both places refused to sell me an exhaust system!!

Both stated that although the outer shell of the exhaust is stainless steel, the inner baffles are aluminised mild steel and will still suffer from some corrosion eventually. They said that they couldn't offer a lifetime guarantee because they didn't know how the engine would cope with the drop in back pressure. Once the corrosion sets in the back pressure drops, the flow of gas increases - so the temperature in the head increases resulting in warping, cracking and burning of the valve seats.

I am wondering if these companies only offer a lifetime guarantee (which is the length of time that the purchaser of the exhaust owns the car - not the life of the car!!) only because they figure that the owner doesn't keep the car very long. As I said I wanted to keep my car for a long time, he seemed very wary and didn't want to sell the the exhaust system.

Any comments?

Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X