Towing limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing limits

I saw a couple of threads earlier talking about towing. Whilst I can't throw any light on the capacity of the Surf those people talking about towing 4t may want to look at http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/index.htm This site has some very good info on the legal aspects of towing as well as other aspects.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

some interesting info mate. I still stand with 80% recomended towing weight as youv'e got to stop the vehicle.
    surfs recomended max tow @ 80% = 1600kg
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      some interesting info mate. I still stand with 80% recomended towing weight as youv'e got to stop the vehicle.
      surfs recomended max tow @ 80% = 1600kg
      80% of 1800Kg is only 1440Kg...
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

its laden 1 passenger + fuel, oil etc
        (\__/)
        (")_(")

Comment

its laden 1 passenger + fuel, oil etc
          yeah but they don't take that into account when they weigh it in on the check point... hehehe!!... picky old me eh!
          it goes by your unladen weight... which i don't think is right as when loaded they include the weight of driver and fuel and butty box in the MGW... one less bale of straw for me!

Comment

The 85% guideline is generally recommended for beginners. This industry recommendation restricts the laden weight of the caravan to 85% of the towcar's kerbweight. For the more experienced tower the industry recommendation is that the laden weight of the caravan does not exceed 100% of the car's kerbweight. This is not the law but it is good advice. Outfits in which the caravan outweighs the car are definitely not recommended.

more info on here http://www.towsafe.co.uk/Advice1.asp
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

whats best options for towing

MANUAL VS AUTOMATIC

The advantage of towing with an automatic is smoother restarts from rest as power is fed evenly to the driving wheels, reducing wheel-spin. If a sudden burst of acceleration is required,'kick-down' on the accelerator will achieve it. The main advantage of a manual gearbox is its ability to match engine speed to optimum torque.An automatic's fluid drive allows a certain amount of 'slippage' between the transmission and the engine, resulting in some loss of power and a consequent increase in fuel consumption.

Auto gearboxes can also suffer from overheating when towing, especially in hot climates or on extended gradients. Some car makers exclude certain auto transmission models from towing, or require an additional transmission oil cooler. Check with the dealer or manufacturer. The car's handbook will tell you what is required.

Obviously, the downside of a manual gearbox is simply the mechanical need to depress the clutch and change gear - no problem on clear roads, but it can become a chore in town or on congested roads
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

so when i was towing my mates boat with my old cavalier and he told me to stop racing people off the light... he was right?
                and with a slower speed limit when towing, how will my shorts dry in time?

Comment

Theres lots of contradictions regarding towing weights some say 100% some 80% & some 85%. so whats the answer????
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

As one who would enforce the weights of vehicles and trailers I would not be interested in the 80% or 100% rule. This would be covered by using a vehicle for an unsuitable purpose. I would look at the manufactures plate and find the gross weight of the vehicle, and the axle weights these should not be exceed. With the caravan/trailer attached I would check the train weight on the manufactures plate. as long as the vehicle and trailer combination did not exceed this figure you would continue on your way. That is of course assuming you passed your test before Jan 1996 as the caravan/trailer may be in excess of 750kgs which would need a catogory B + E licence.
                    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
                      so when i was towing my mates boat with my old cavalier and he told me to stop racing people off the light... he was right?
                      and with a slower speed limit when towing, how will my shorts dry in time?
                      Yeah, its a waste of time, get a rear wheel drive car, and put that excess hitch weight to good use in stopping the rear tyres spinning instead of lifting the front up on a FWD car.

Then you're good to go at the next green light.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

In this section of a Toyota brochure that Laserjock posted, it says the 4Runner will 'tow over 2.2 tonnes' .....

And this one says 2002Kg for a braked trailer.
                        Last edited by Rob; 1 April 2004, 08:38.

Comment

MANUAL VS AUTOMATIC

The advantage of towing with an automatic is smoother restarts from rest as power is fed evenly to the driving wheels, reducing wheel-spin. If a sudden burst of acceleration is required,'kick-down' on the accelerator will achieve it. The main advantage of a manual gearbox is its ability to match engine speed to optimum torque.An automatic's fluid drive allows a certain amount of 'slippage' between the transmission and the engine, resulting in some loss of power and a consequent increase in fuel consumption.

Auto gearboxes can also suffer from overheating when towing, especially in hot climates or on extended gradients. Some car makers exclude certain auto transmission models from towing, or require an additional transmission oil cooler. Check with the dealer or manufacturer. The car's handbook will tell you what is required.
                          Obviously, the downside of a manual gearbox is simply the mechanical need to depress the clutch and change gear - no problem on clear roads, but it can become a chore in town or on congested roads
                          Ok marky, I have seen the A-Z of Caravanning too. Patronising isn't it?
                          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                            Ok marky, I have seen the A-Z of Caravanning too. Patronising isn't it?
                            it sure is
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                            X