Wonder who the nameless one is.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonder who the nameless one is.....

A UK facility to close with work reallocated across European sites.

25 April 2008 - German owned car filter system manufacturer Mahle Filter Systems is to close its South Wiltshire facility in the UK due to overcapacity with the loss of 440 jobs.

The site in High Post is believed to have around 33 injection moulding machines and supply global car brands such as BMW, Ford, Aston Martin and Nissan.

Although the firm is still in discussions with employees it proposes that the facility be wound down in stages with final closure scheduled for late 2009.

Mahle plan to relocate the work to other European sites including its Telford-based facility in Shropshire, which will undergo development.

By 2010 it plans to create a further 200 jobs at the Telford site bringing the total number of employees up to 350.

Mahle spokeswoman, Stefanie Thiel, told PRW.com that redeployment opportunities from Wiltshire to the Telford site would be made available.

She added: “We have overcapacity in our filter system business and we have to look for ways to make the business profitable which isn’t the case at the moment.

“So we have to address the cost structure and address overcapacity and secure business in the long term.”

Neither Thiel nor Mahle Filter Systems managing director, Scott Ferguson, were prepared to explain how the overcapacity had arisen.

The Mahle Group, headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany, bought the Telford facility from Siemens VDO Automotive in January last year.

An employee at the Wiltshire site, who preferred to remain nameless, told PRW.com that he was deeply critical of management arguing that they had done little to address the facility’s difficulties.

An official company statement stated: “This proposal is in no way a reflection on our employees at Salisbury. We recognise the contribution of employees to the development of our business.

It added: “We regret the impact that the proposal will have upon the employees affected and intend to meet our social responsibilities in full and will provide support to the affected employees in finding new jobs.”
    Working at last.......

That was the headlines on our industry's mag, called Plastic and Rubber Weekly.
    Quite apt for the yeti i thought.....
    Working at last.......

Comment

And i wonder who the nameless one is
      ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazzard View Post
        And i wonder who the nameless one is
        Well it aint you, you got so many names i cant remember what to call you half the time.............
        Working at last.......

Comment

Reading through their release, it strikes me that they don't appear to be very good at maths or FM, one or the other....

To close down a site, then sort out redundancy and relocation costs as well as pay for expansion of a site they only bought recently - surely the overcapacity is in Telford, not Salisbury????

Why buy a site, then close down your existing location? Wages can't be too disimilar between Telford and Salisbury, the site costs couldn't outweigh the overall costs to move everything around. Even if you looked at the redundancy costs (I'm assuming several hundreds of thousands in one year), then the relocation costs (several hundreds of thousands over up to 3 years) then the FM costs of sorting out the facility to accommodate 200+ more staff, this must cost more over 5 years than refocusing the business, sorting out the sale as a going concern of Telford, to maybe Tata (and no, I'm not kidding) or diversifying to support additional industries....then, within the same 5 years, the company invests some of the money it would have spent shutting the place down, to new sales opportunities, sales of the real over capacity (Telford) and looks to new markets, makes more money......
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

At salisbury we are over capasity but cannot make a profit due to always setting up the processes then they get moved out and we get left with the loss making parts . Telford are at 60% capasity and make a small proffit . The biggest joke is they plan to take 18 of our m/c's to do the work but they cannot fit the cranes into the factory to get the tools into the presses .

We have been stiched by the company as our site has no union and telford does .......Some very intresting reading at www.mahlesucks.com
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

And we have also heard that the telford site will be shut in a couple of years and all of it sent to india................
              They have more money than sence.
              Working at last.......

Comment

Working...
              X