yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recommendations please on a V8/12 project....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommendations please on a V8/12 project....

Mm since my engine seems to have a little temperamental heat needle although everything seems absolutely fine **knocking wood** I have been looking at a 3ltr so we’ll see if I can get it...
    It's a good excuse to buy one anyway....

But if I do buy one that means that my darling 2.4 is still here
    Now as an excuse to my better half I said we can better transform the 2.4 to either a safari truck or a proper off-road monster as we’ll get much more for it with only a little investment...
    (sssshhhtttt dont tell her that I just want to build a monster)

HEHE u like my excuse?
    Anyway she thinks it's a good idea
    Hehe so I now can start looking for my project........
    So now I am wondering if one of these sorta things will fit or that I really will need to get a Lexus or Honda to make life easier..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&it em=190219372725&ssPageName=STR K:MEWA:IT&ih=009

or this looks like a project
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&it em=300221855664&ssPageName=STR K:MEWA:IT&ih=020

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&it em=110248253417&ssPageName=STR K:MEWA:IT&ih=001

what do u people think?
    One day at the time I guess..

Out of the 3 the first would be your best bet, I think the V12 is too long for a surf.

But if I were you I would look at getting a Lexus cheap, keeping the engine and necessary bits and flogging off what isn't needed (ala Vince)
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Might be worth an enquiry

so is this

and this

and another

See an old squirrel can be useful
      Last edited by That Ruddy Squirrel; 5 May 2008, 12:58. Reason: added link
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Thanks Trev...
        yeah very usefull indeed.....

I just rang the fella from the Chevy Camaro / Pontiac Firebird V8 engine and he has the TH350 gearbox as well so that sounds like it might be an option..
        I have just been reading that they are bullet proof.
        Also cus the engine is such basic engineering it is a lot harder to kill one of them and not much hassel with wires and electrics.. so shud go in a lot quicker and easier..
        I will ring some of the lexus people too see what kinda money they want as at least I know that that engine goes well in a surf...

hehe getting all exited now...
        lol

Comment

I used to have a couple of XJS V12 5.3's a couple of years ago and they are not that powerfull they have quite alot of torque and as UDTrev said they are a long engine and there is alot to go wrong with them especially on the vacume side of things, i'd avoid this one.
          Roy
          When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
            I used to have a couple of XJS V12 5.3's a couple of years ago and they are not that powerfull they have quite alot of torque and as UDTrev said they are a long engine and there is alot to go wrong with them especially on the vacume side of things, i'd avoid this one.
            I will now....
            I think I will go for the first type engine or a lexus...
            how well are the lexus engines Roy?
            u know anything bout them?
            Am I rite in thinking that something like the first one might be good too due to the simplicity of the engine? or do u see probs there as well?

see what the costs are..

Comment

If you go for a Lexus, don't go for anything later than a 1997 'cos they are VVTi and some have built in security in the looms with is a total P.I.T.A.
              Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 14 October 2012, 02:12.

Comment

s.b.c/b.b.c power is easy to come by,parts are cheap from people like www.realsteel.co.uk the only down sides to this conversion is the weight of the engine and coupling a g/box//transfer box to it unless you can find someone who has the whole drivetrain.or go for the rover v8 conversion all you need is the engine,these can be picked up from as little as £200 the adaptor kit £450 and a 4 or 5 speed manual box.£100 if you can find a good one.four speed is stronger but five speed is more economical.and also you will need the pedal box and slave cylinder from a manual.
                Last edited by surfenstein; 5 May 2008, 15:30.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

I would thing mainly for ease of fitting the Lexus would be the better option, if you wanted to make things even easier and possibly cheaper you would be better off getting a complete car as it’s the little bits that you will find you need that cost the money.

Far better having the donor car at the side of yours and swap the bitts over one by one, then you can sell what’s left but you will know for sure that you have all the parts you need for your transplant.

Don't know much about either engine but i do know that the 305 is common in America and the Lexus is common in England and England is closser.
                  Roy
                  When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    If you go for a Lexus, don't go for anything later than a 1993 'cos they are VVTi and some have built in security in the looms with is a total P.I.T.A.
                    rite that is good to know cus just rang some guy about his R-reg lexus better leave that one then..

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                    s.b.c/b.b.c power is easy to come by,parts are cheap from people like www.realsteel.co.uk the only down sides to this conversion is the weight of the engine and coupling a g/box//transfer box to it unless you can find someone who has the whole drivetrain.or go for the rover v8 conversion all you need is the engine,these can be picked up from as little as £200 the adaptor kit £450 and a 4 or 5 speed manual box.£100 if you can find a good one.four speed is stronger but five speed is more economical.and also you will need the pedal box and slave cylinder from a manual.
                    Rite I do like the Idea of a yank engine. I can get an engine complete with gearbox etc all it needs is a carb.. I think the rest is easy enough to make compatible I think..
                    The older chevy engines seem just easier due to not many electric etc..
                    thanks for the link I did not know them yet.. seems a good place.. they got a lot by the looks of things
                    Is the size a problem tho?
                    seen as the engine is a little smaller and not much more to it..

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
                    I would thing mainly for ease of fitting the Lexus would be the better option, if you wanted to make things even easier and possibly cheaper you would be better off getting a complete car as it’s the little bits that you will find you need that cost the money.

Far better having the donor car at the side of yours and swap the bitts over one by one, then you can sell what’s left but you will know for sure that you have all the parts you need for your transplant.

Don't know much about either engine but i do know that the 305 is common in America and the Lexus is common in England and England is closser.
                    I see ur point
                    fancy coming round when it gets to fitting time?

Comment

Working...
                    X