IFS or SFA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IFS or SFA

Been having a look up on suspension and not sure which is better solid leaf sprung axles, or independant front suspension. What are your thoughts? Off to cook dinner now, so will read replies later on
    Hold my beer and watch this

As far as Surfs are concerned, IFS is better on road, Solid axle is better Offroad.

IFS is probably a better compromise all round. But if you start to semi-serious offroad, the stock IFSs lack of articulation becomes an issue.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

See, thats the problem with Tony being the first to reply! You have the perfect answer right away!

SFA wins for me.... cuz' it looks cool!

Comment

tip top tho int he
        i fixed allsort just by reading some threads
        i did not even need to ask its all here all ready
        you guys make me want to learn
        am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
          you guys make me want to learn

Thats a good point mate, i think its one of the best things about this site..

..thing i hate most is the constant supply of "ohh i like that" which is normally followed by a wallet somewhere being raped!

Comment

ok back now from dinner (steak and potatoe wedges for those wondering) See my surf has been relegated from daily driver duties, so is there to be modded and mudded. How much work is involved in going to SFA? Is it a case of finding a doner hilux pick up, then taking all the suspension parts off and grating it onto the surf. Built around the same chasis, so in theory should line up and fit. Just need to build leaf spring hangers, any other parts needed?

Comment

solid axle.

ifs.on the same lane.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

See that's why SFA intersts me.

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                  solid axle.

ifs.on the same lane.
                  boy im glad i dont own that green one
                  Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker?? View Post
                    boy im glad i dont own that green one ANY MORE
                    I RECKON THATS HOW YOU BROKE IT DAVE.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                      I RECKON THATS HOW YOU BROKE IT DAVE.
                      or chicken hunting?

Comment

£180 will net you with a spring hanger an some other bits an bobs (supertrux)

Then you need to do some bits to the steering. I dont think any of the IFS steering parts work!?

Then get an axle with the same diff as your rear one an then a prop shaft - a hilux pickup one may fit or it may not!

You can get some longer shackles to get a small lift (1-2") but anything over that an you'll need the correct radius leaf springs which aint cheap!

To be honest it wont be cheap, it wont be quick! But it would be flucking amazing mate. get a SFA an then work on doing re leafs on the surf an you could be looking at a crazy offroad truck! If thats all the surfs left to do then it would be awesome.

between the people here an on elite4x4 you could find all the parts you will need and info on how to sort stuff.

I say, you got the ££! Then do it mate!! It will be awesome!

Comment

At the risk of spoiling peoples fun again.....

Budget SAS.

Pickup front axle, matching 8" diff with same ratio as rear, pickup steering box, lifted leaf springs (or shackles, sump will hit axle without 3+" of lift.), shock hoops, shocks, Fab front and rear spring mounts, torque arm mount, front prop.

'Proper' SAS

Pickup front axle, matching 8" diff, IFS steering box, crossover steering kit, lift springs/shackles, shock hoops, shocks, u-bolt flip kit, steering stabilser, front and rear spring mounts, front prop, pair of wheel spacers for the rear axle, torque arm mount, (Solid axles are wider than IFS, so the rear wheels won't match the front without spacers)

The big difference between the two is the crossover steering, the problem with the stock Toy set up is with any sort of lift, the steering link rod is so short that when the axle is fully drooped on the that side, your steering is at full lock, but the wheels are pointing straight ahead, crossover stereing get rid of this problem, but adds lots of cash to the bill, but worth doing is you can afford it, and the truck won't leap around going over pot holes on the road (bump steer), and offroad manners are far better.

You can gain a little lift by lowering the front spring mounts from the chassis, this also negates the tipping down effect longer shackles have on the rear of the front diff.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

And if all that sounds like a lot of work
                            Super trucks will do it for £1k if you supply the axle
                            Brian

Comment

can i just mention also that tony and i already have S.F.A TRUCKS.DID I MENTION THAT BEFORE.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X