Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by montyandmilly View Post
    Hi All ,
    Just swoped my 2nd gen 3 ltr for a Freshly imported and very smart 3rd gen surf ssrx. It was reg in japan in 1998 so DVLA have given it an "R" plate, so far so good. They have now told me that as it has been reg in uk in 2008 and has High Emmisions it is in the "High road tax bracket". £400 per year, £220 per 6 months. I told them that as it was previously reg abroad prior to 2001 surly this was wrong, and if not can i have a " 08" plate . As usual no joy . Any one else been hit with this ,if so what can be done . I feel Robbed as i now drive a well smart 1998 Surf with 2008 road tax!! The term Ba****ds spings to mind!
    how do they know it has high emissions, its not on your log book is it?
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by montyandmilly View Post
      Hi All ,
      Just swoped my 2nd gen 3 ltr for a Freshly imported and very smart 3rd gen surf ssrx. It was reg in japan in 1998 so DVLA have given it an "R" plate, so far so good. They have now told me that as it has been reg in uk in 2008 and has High Emmisions it is in the "High road tax bracket". £400 per year, £220 per 6 months. I told them that as it was previously reg abroad prior to 2001 surly this was wrong, and if not can i have a " 08" plate . As usual no joy . Any one else been hit with this ,if so what can be done . I feel Robbed as i now drive a well smart 1998 Surf with 2008 road tax!! The term Ba****ds spings to mind!
      Is it me or did anyone else see that goalpost being moved? Sorry to hear, hope the issue gets sorted.
      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

If the car is less than 10 years old at the time of import it has to go through an SVA test and as part of that they now take the CO2 reading from the model document. The tax office now use that to rate the car for road tax. So if importing you need to make sure the car is pre-2001 AND more than 10 years old. I got stung because mine was 9 years 3 months old - and the SVA test (and prep) isn't cheap either. What made it even more annoying for me was that the only people at the DVLA who knew the rules were those trained to deal with imports - when I first handed in the form I was asked for £99 for 6 months but the following day I got a call from the person processing the application saying pay up the extra or I won't register your vehicle.

Comment

I have'nt got the reg docs from DVLA yet. I have got a certificate from Japan stating that the car was first reg in May, 1998. The MOT certificate was issued on 10th March 2008 and number plate certificate issue on 7th April. this would mean that my Surf was 9years and 10 months old on mot and only 3 weeks short of 10 years when given a uk reg number!! Just to rub salt into the wounds DVLA now tell me its reg as a MITSUBISI SURF!!! A major balls up all round me thinks. How did they find emissions for a truck that doesnt exist???

Comment

What if we all (all motorists) just tell them to #### off, don't pay the tax, bollox to insurance and just fill up and drive off from the forecourt.

ah well, it's a nice thought.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
              What if we all (all motorists) just tell them to #### off, don't pay the tax, bollox to insurance and just fill up and drive off from the forecourt.

Because then we would be no better than the politicians.

Well they don’t pay for Tax, Petrol or Insurance.

Because we pay for it for them, aren’t we kind
              Roy
              When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post

I Know you normally ignor me as a rule but, read my sig line
                Brian

Comment

mine had an SVA but has no details of emissions on the log book, i pay £185.00 and was told by dvla that the new tax classes does not apply to my truck cos it was registered 1st in 1995 in japan. However,the first uk user was in 2005, so does this now changed the amont i have to pay?
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by charvell View Post
                    mine had an SVA but has no details of emissions on the log book, i pay £185.00 and was told by dvla that the new tax classes does not apply to my truck cos it was registered 1st in 1995 in japan. However,the first uk user was in 2005, so does this now changed the amont i have to pay?

I'm pretty certain they've only started using the model document emissions data in the last year or so and I believe that once the vehicle is registered the classification will not change so I'm sure you'll be ok.

Comment

Working...
                    X