power inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power inverter

has anyone fitted a power inverter to their surf?
    was considing one for charging cordless power tool at work. seen them with soft start to save car electrics, but i've had bad experiences with using lighter socket to power things. don't fancy getting stuck on a moor with a flat batt

I've got one that runs off the lighter socket. It alarms if the battery is getting low and shuts itself down below a certain voltage.

Maplins one, black boxy thing.
    My other cars a QUAD
    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

I have a small one I built into the dash. Only use it for charging stuff, powering the laptop, powering lights for camping etc. If the engine's running you'll be fine with a hefty one, but dont draw too much current when you're stopped a while.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I use one that plugs into the cigerett lighter socket, it works fine for laptop and phone etc. I wouldnt be in a rush to plug a microwave in but most other electronics are fine.
        If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

Originally posted by mckirdy-services View Post
          I use one that plugs into the cigerett lighter socket, it works fine for laptop and phone etc. I wouldnt be in a rush to plug a microwave in but most other electronics are fine.
          Aye, same as that, mobile phones, laptops, cordless drills, small coolbox/fridges that sort of stuff can be run ok without running the engine, you can get hefty ones, above 1kw, but they are pricey too.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

I used to use a Defender 130 'van' for work (hated it, but thats not the point) and it was kitted out with two 800w inverters. We used to run three or four ruggedised PCs in racks in the back, and several bits of ancilliary kit from them. We'd leave the engine running, but we could operate all day like that without ill effects, and the Landy only had one standard battery.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

cheers guys!
              nice to know these things come with safety shut down etc and that it's not going to fry my electrics.
              now i have a new problem, inverter for cicrular/jigsaws or buy a chainsaw?? or all of the above!!!

Comment

Mine has just packed up yesterday ! Bugger!

I will take it apart when i have time an see if its servicable
                If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

Working...
                X