No announcement yet.

Concorde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The seatbelt is to stop you from falling out of your seat and bouncing around the cabin smashing yourself, other people and the plane up. It's not really there to protect you as such, but stops you from moving from your seat if you hit a big bit of turbulence.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
      The seatbelt is to stop you from falling out of your seat and bouncing around the cabin smashing yourself, other people and the plane up. It's not really there to protect you as such, but stops you from moving from your seat if you hit a big bit of turbulence.
      Surely turbulence can happen at any time, and not just take off and landing, which is when it is compulsory to wear it. And if I can smash the plane up from bouncing around, reckon I've made the right decision to stay in Blighty!!
      If you play with fire.....

Comment

Originally posted by bu5hwack3r View Post
        Surely turbulence can happen at any time, and not just take off and landing, which is when it is compulsory to wear it. And if I can smash the plane up from bouncing around, reckon I've made the right decision to stay in Blighty!!
        That's why they tell you to leave it on even when the seatbelt sign is switched off and why they switch the seatbelt sign on when they can see turbulent weather ahead.

You would only smash up the plastic trim inside the plane, nothing actually important.

Comment

Weather radar can 'see' turbulence though, which is why they allow you to move around when in flight. Stuff like windshear and wake turbulence, and accelerations due to flap / spoiler deployment is more likely during take off and landing though, which is why you wear you belt then.

Sancho, you might only smash up interior trim, but the interior trim cab break bones.

What was that japanese flight where the crew lost control for a while and the g forces resulted in the cabin staff being pinned to ceiling / floor while they were sorting it out...
          Last edited by Apache; 23 April 2008, 12:55.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

plenty of turbulence on my flights...
            must be something to do with what I eat beforehand...

oh well, never mind, distracts me from the boredom...
            god forbid, I might buy another surf.

Comment

I liked looking out of the window, and pointing out to the person next to me how much the wingtip bends during heavy turbulence. A lot of them dont appreciate it

It's also amazing how much of the wing of a 777 folds out during landing. So much at some points in the span, it looks like the the spar is the only thing in its original position! Amazing! You can see all the hydraulic actuators working away, I love it!

For those with a fear of flying, I'd recommend genning up on aerodynamics and aircraft structural engineering. With that knowledge, you'll know its pretty damn hard for them NOT to fly!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                I liked looking out of the window, and pointing out to the person next to me how much the wingtip bends during heavy turbulence. A lot of them dont appreciate it
                You cruel, cruel man

It always surprises me how much the wings droop when the lift comes off them during landing. Worth getting a window seat just for that.

As for the safety aids, I prefer the Big Yin's take on it:

"When you're heading for a mountain at 500mph, you can all throw the cushion at it and shout, "Go away, nasty mountain!"
                Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Just had one of your old AAC Apaches circling round our place this morning ? now that is a feat of flexible engineering ! The blades certainly flex a bit ! The weapons guy had the targeting stuff switched on (had a good laugh at us when we stood with our hands up and put a tea towel on our heads ! makes our seaking look a bit old and sorry
                  Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

In 1978 I had the dubious privilege of flying to Canada in an RAF VC10 ...... as we crossed the coast near Gander the wingtips were moving through what seemed to be about 10' - the comment was "CrabAir have got it flapping it's wings to save fuel !"

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

In 1978 I had the dubious privilege of flying to Canada in an RAF VC10 ...... as we crossed the coast near Gander the wingtips were moving through what seemed to be about 10' - the comment was "CrabAir have got it flapping it's wings to save fuel !"

And we had the seats the wrong way round !
                      Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

VC10 is a big bird, so perhaps 10ft or so of flex isn't out of the question. I've seen airliners flex what looks like 5 or six feet up at the tips in what I'd regard as fairly light turbulence.

Comment

I always look at the cabin crew, if they're not scared, I'm not scared!
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            I always look at the cabin crew, if they're not scared, I'm not scared!
                            If the steward winks I AM SCARED !!!!
                            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                              If the steward winks I AM SCARED !!!!
                              Why would you be watching the stewards? Something you need to tell us?
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

so concorde on a conveyor belt..................................................

Comment

Working...
                                X