Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• subaru coolant expansion tank problem

Hi
    - not a 4runner issue this time, but my subaru forester.

I always keep an eye on coolant levels in both cars - radiator and expansion tank.
    recently in the subaru after long drives, when its cooled down, the coolant level in the expansion tank reamins high. Its not been overflowing.
    And when i take off rad cap, the coolant level is low!. I have to draw off coolant in the expansion tank and this fills the radiator level back to correct level.
    i have put a different rad cap on, and same issue.
    there is no gush of air trying to get in the radiator when i remove it, so its not under vacuum, the top hose isnt collapsed on cooling.
    the pipe to expansion tank isnt blocked!

So am I right in guessing there must be a leak, so air is being sucked into the system on cooling, and not sucking coolant back in from the expansion tank?

oil isnt milky and no sign of oil in the coolant,

a strange one!
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

my money wud be on thermostat sticking

Comment

cheers breakdowntruck2 -

out of interest - mechanically how would a sticking thermostat stop the coolant draining back into the radiator from expansion tank on cooling ?

and explain the apparent vaccuum on cooling and coolant contraction - being lost?

i also managed to find some air in the system, by burping the system, i could hear the air bubbles being released from somewhere and bubbling up through the radiator
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

have you checked the inlet and outlet on the expansion tank ...1 or other could be blocked ??

Comment

sorry for being dim today, are you loosing any coolant? and is it smokey from the exhaust ?
          SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

thermostat sticking,wud cause pressure to build when hot,and drop when cold,u would prob find if u sat in traffic it wud overheat,but not all the time yr moving,

Comment

Working...
            X