No announcement yet.

Tow bar question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look at pics 2 & 4 you can see part "C" (spacer plate) between the chassis and the towbar bracket and not inserted into the chassis. Part "D" (strap with welded bolt) is slotted into the open end of the chassis member and located in the farthest hole from the end or the next one back, depending on wether you have underslung or rear mount spare or a LC colorado, so you get the option of using one hole or the other. In total you will have three nuts and bolts fixing each bracket to the chassis (6 in total). Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Antshiel; 17 April 2008, 10:27.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Tose 2 metal strips confused me as well, I will have another go this Weekend.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

What a pain in the ass to get this ###### tow bar on, the bolts i should be using don't seem to want to fit in and screw up, i'm sure the spacer plates need to go in to the chassis rail

Comment

When i fitted the tow bar on my 2nd gen i had to slacken all the bolts off to enable me to fit the cross member that the hitch bolts to and then tighten everything up.I've still yet to do the electrics tho
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

is it a witter bar you've got? the instructions you typed out don't quite tie up with the ones on the witter site ( http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towb...eTowbarID=1008 ) but the format in the photo is exactly the same, just wonderin if you may have somehow got the wrong instructions, or maybe even wrong bar?
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Thats the bar exactally nero mate, it's not a witter bar but it is pct automotive so maybe a company name change,the bolts and washers are almost exactally identical as well

The instructions are for a landcruiser colorado lwb 1996- just rubbish instructions

Problem i have is there are no holes at the top of the chassis only at the bottom and trying to mount the side arms are a nightmare
              Last edited by Retribution; 21 April 2008, 16:40.

Comment

I cant work out how the spreader plate with captive bolts goe on with the pdf instructions,will say it's better laid out on the set i have

Does the spreader plate have to go on 1st so i can then tighten it up so i can try getting the other bolts in

Comment

so this is the one you got then?
                  http://www.pct.eu.com/automotive/Fit...pdf/TY4001.pdf

I'm only hazarding guesses here really but -

1) Slide the spacer plate inside the chassis rail, ensuring it's the right way round and the captive nuts are on top.

2) Offer up side angle and get a bolt through (G) the angle + bottom of the chassis rail and into one of the captive nuts on the spacer plate (which of course all line up perfectly!!) don't tighten it, just leave it fairly loose.

3) Line up the other three holes (Fs) and bolt up (loosely) using the right washers and so on, remove the first bolt you put in then refit that one with the right washers too. Leaving all 4 bolts on each side fairly loose still.

4) Lift the main bar into position* and bolt it up.

5) Go round and tighten everything up.

* this bit can be seriously tight, i jacked my 2nd gen up on the bar to try and push it up and into place, and it lifted the rear wheels off the floor rather than the bar pushing up at all. Took some hefty whacks with a lump hammer to finally get it in place enough to the get a smaller bolt through with large washers and nut then rack that up with the impact gun to finally pull the bar into place before i could fit the proper bolts.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Not sure if the above will help or not, the original instructions aint the best and the written instructions and diagram don't seem to quite marry up.

I can't work out exactly what 'G - Straps with M12 x 35 Captive Bolts, Nuts
                    & Washers' is or how it would work in the position it's kinda not really shown in in the diagram.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Thanks nero gonna give it a go tomorrow if it rains snows or whatever

Yep thats the same instructions i have should have searched better

Comment

I got the drivers side on eventually prob was the 1st nut has to go down to the end of the chassis and the bolt has to go down and screwed in with bolt and washer, and the 3rd and 4th hole (which are together) have bolts from what i can see was a tow point as there are 2 bolts still inside so had to put them in from the other direction and screwed in, and weren't the best condition but that side is secure.

Prob i had is the passenger side tow point that has 2 bolts on is well and truly stuck put wd40 on it as well and they wont budge and me wrench is damaged from previous fun with the mr2's
                        So any ideas on how to get the bolts off

btw killed my rear fog light in the process of fitting the spacer plate
                        Last edited by Retribution; 23 April 2008, 19:52.

Comment

Working...
                        X