bound to be abused for this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bound to be abused for this

can anyone tell me why the rear speakers cut out when i switch from radio to cd changer? only the front speakers work whilst using that.

is it the rear amps not being powered due to aerial? is there a way to get round this?

what sort of set ups has anyone else got as i am going to change my speakers and set up and the speakers sound knackered, but i am going to use the original points etc and not show the speakers ( as i don't want to ).

going to remover side panels and find out if there are any locations to fit anything extra?? just got to work out how.....

Yup, it's exactly as you suspected. The rear speakers are run from an in-line amp which is powered by the feed that puts the aerial up. So, if your stereo puts the aerial down when on CD you'll lose the rear speakers.

Easiest solution is to turn on Traffic Announcements/Information (either called TA or TI depending on maker). This definately works for Sony units.

After that your looking at over-riding the aerial signal to be always on in some way, or to remove the rear amp - not sure where it is, it might be in the panel with the speakers.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

As Slugsie said using the TA in CD mode brings the Rear speakers back on line

I believe the rear amp is built in to dash behind the stereo or just off to one side of it.

Comment

Yup Sony units are like this, I found out by mistake about 2 months after getting my truck
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
          As Slugsie said using the TA in CD mode brings the Rear speakers back on line

I believe the rear amp is built in to dash behind the stereo or just off to one side of it.
          Really? I always thought it/they were in the back behind the side panels.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

In my surf (1993 2.4TD) the amps are fitted in the rear speaker boxes.

Some headunits have seperate aeriel and amp wires - from memory the aerial one is blue/white, and the amp one is blue (may be the other way round...) Hopefully yours has an amp remote wire and you can connect that to the surfs aerial/amp wires.

If not maybe connect the surfs aerial/amp wires to an ignition on wire, but that means the aerial will always be up regardless of whether the stereos on or not.

If yours is a 2nd gen then I've had all the panels out. I'm going for a pair of 6.5" in the front doors, no rears and some subs in the boot. Looking at the way the rears are fitted I'd stick with stock (they're in a box designed for them) Some people have fitted 6x9's there but I can't see the point myself.

If you want some original rear speakers with amps I have a decent pair for sale, though I'd recommend you to not bother with rears.

The 4" fronts in stock locations are woefully inadequate aswell imo. - I use mine for the cb speakers.

Hth,
            Rob.

Comment

Does this apply to Third Gens too? I thought all my speakers were passive/none amplified....

I hate having the ariel up when listening to The Ipod/CDs etc. My Alpine head unit seems to keep the antenna up at all times, regardless to if TA is on or not
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

cheers for all the advice, the TA button does work and allows the rear speakers to actually work....

i was going to stick with the same size speakers front and rear and also add an extra set of tweeters to the rear above the rear window as it has the applicable grille, just have to modify the fixing that's all.

just want a reasonable stereo sound in the surf, not some massive set up where everyone else hears me before i turn up!!

Comment

Working...
                X