Alternative Fuel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative Fuel...

While I'm sitting at home healing, got to thinking about the cost of diesel and veggie oil etc, whilst looking through the window at the 1200l heating oil tank I have in the back garden ahem!!

I know of several people locally that run their vehicles on this, seemingly without a problem (unless C&E get hold of them) and its currently around the 0.50p per litre to buy.

Can anyone advise of any mods needed for my Surf to run on this, the legal implications, ie can it ever be legal to run on heating oil, and anything else that might bite me in the ass.

The way prices are going its either swap the truck for something more economical, or find another fuel. Only one winner there for me....
    If you play with fire.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-LITRE-BRAND-...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Nice price, the only pi55er is collecting from Burnley The cost of me going up there and back would only make sense if I bought a real sh1tload. Will give some thought though, cheers bud.
      If you play with fire.....

Comment

Originally posted by bu5hwack3r View Post
        Nice price, the only pi55er is collecting from Burnley The cost of me going up there and back would only make sense if I bought a real sh1tload. Will give some thought though, cheers bud.
        just search veg oil on ebay,loads on there just none ever near me

Comment

well i have been thinking of the same thing
          its time to find cheaper fuel or sell for a more fuel freindly 4x4
          one like this
          http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Ojos.JPG

i can make a good LPG one for a few grand
          and its lighter than a surf
          its just the confort loss that worrys me
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
            well i have been thinking of the same thing
            its time to find cheaper fuel or sell for a more fuel freindly 4x4
            one like this
            http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1f/Ojos.JPG

i can make a good LPG one for a few grand
            and its lighter than a surf
            its just the confort loss that worrys me
            troble is got one as a family car!

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
              troble is got one as a family car!
              they do a grand one its a bit bigger than normal but not much
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                they do a grand one its a bit bigger than normal but not much
                im thinkin more long the lines of gettin wvo from local resturants tbh

Comment

has anyone thought of looking abroad ! ! ! if its cheap enough i'd buy a shed load/van full from across the water ! ! ! it wouldn't be that hard to find a trucker (between us) with some space to bring a palete(s) back !

dont let the swine's win ! there's always a way round if we stick together !

fatboy33
                  " loving my surf "

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                    im thinkin more long the lines of gettin wvo from local resturants tbh
                    Only get the WVO thats been used for chips , if it's been used for meat it'll clog things up.

Comment

"Can anyone advise of any mods needed for my Surf to run on this, the legal implications, ie can it ever be legal to run on heating oil, and anything else that might bite me in the ass." quote

I have been told a blend of heating oil and cheap engine oil...seems to do the trick....I know a few around here who run that..

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Originally posted by bu5hwack3r View Post
                        Can anyone advise of any mods needed for my Surf to run on this, the legal implications, ie can it ever be legal to run on heating oil, and anything else that might bite me in the ass.
                        As far as legality, I think it's treated the same way as Red Diesel - i.e. if you get found out, they'll seize your vehicle and give you a big fine. Basically, don't do it, it's not worth the risk.
                        Paul </Slugsie>
                        Immortal.so far!

Comment

I think the surf will run on heating oil without any mods, as it is 28 sec kerosine, vey similar viscocity to diesel, but as the VAT is only 8% ( or whatever they let you have on domestic heating fuel) if you get caught using it, you'll be done for VAT fraud and all that goes with it.

The only way around it would be to have a "secret" tank, so if you get dipped, they'd dip the derv tank.

It may work for a while, but they'll always get you lne way or another.
                          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

is heating oil coloured?

Comment

heating oil STINKS too ! a bloke round here was using it ! I THOUGHT about it BUT it does stink ! round here you'd have no probllems cos were in the middle of nowhere ! but in a town ,ummmmmm dont know ! ! ! if you got the b+lls DO it !

fatboy33
                              " loving my surf "

Comment

Working...
                              X